1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brief spotbeam outage in DC?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lucky13, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Last night (10/10) when I turned on the tv just after 8 PM, I realized I wasn't getting any HD locals from the 99 spotbeam. I quickly replaced 3 scheduled recordings with OTA channels, and then checked the sat signal on my H20. It showed signals in the mid-80s on two TPs (2 & 4, I believe), and 0 on the other 4. I usually get readings in the 80s or low 90s for TPs 1-4. I believe the spotbeam for the DC DMA is on TP 3--at least, that always seems to have the strongest signal.
    My wife said the locals had been working just fine as late as 7 PM, when she changed the channel. And at 8:45, when I checked again, the HD LILs were back.

Did anyone else in the DC market experience this?

2. robmfielding

robmfielding Cool Member

May 30, 2007
    I watched Pushing Daisies on ABC WJLA last night from 8pm to 9pm with no problems. I live in Kensington, MD

3. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Very strange. I'm between Rockville and Gburg.
    I had no spotbeam for an hour or so; no problems before or after, and had strong signal on other TPs on 99.
    Perhaps there was a dark cloud hovering over my dish!!

4. gopokes

gopokes Cool Member

Sep 14, 2006
    HD Locals went off the air in Tulsa Oklahoma right at 7pm centeral time. They came back up about 30 minutes later.

5. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    That would be the same time.
    Maybe DTV was activating our accounts for Multi-Room Viewing.:lol:

6. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    OK, so some of us had an issue last night at 7:00pm CST.

Here is the thread I started last night. It went off at 7:00pm and was back at 7:09pm CST.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1205876#post1205876

Moderator, I think these two threads can be merged or just let them fall off the face of the earth....

7. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Mine might have been off for the same 9 minutes--didn't check it for 45 mins after I started OTA recordings. I was watching a recording with my wife, and didn't want to run up to the H20.

Curiouser and curiouser. Some spots went out briefly, but not affecting everyone in the spotbeam path.

Anyone have a theory?

8. robpac

robpac Cool Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Hey lucky, i'm in gaithersburg. I tried to access one of my hd locals at 8 and got no signal. Honestly, i was afraid my wife would see that and start complaining about Dtv again so I quickly changed to the list and convinced her to watch something that we recorded last week! The end result is that i don't know when it came back on but I'm guessing I had the same problem you did.

9. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Odd that we'd be off and Kensington would be OK.
    Unless Gaithersburg is on the same spotbeam as Tulsa and Dallas. That's some strange spot.

10. bret4

bret4 DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 22, 2006
    About the same time here in Connecticut I had a lot of picture breakup on the local MPEG4 channels. All other channels were fine. We are also on the 99 sat for locals.

Things are fine now but many programs recorded today tend to lock up the HR20-100 when using trick play. Last week we had the same thing happen for a few days lockup and picture breakup. Then as sudden as it all started it stopped. Everything was perfect until last night.

If D* is working on something, I wish they would do it some other time than primetime.

11. racemanva

racemanva AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    Yes Sir, 4,5,7,9 and 20 were out for approx 15 minutes(8:00-8:15) in Springfield last nite, had plenty of signal but a black screen, was getting the 771 message on these channels for a few minutes, signal returned and no problems since. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.