1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bright Blue Resolution Light on Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bofurley, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Has any a suggestion on how to dim this light?

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Black tape :)

3. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Thanks, that would work, but I want something better!

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Not certain there is a way, maybe someone here knows a trick to do so.

5. lzhj9k

lzhj9k Legend

Mar 14, 2009
    How about www.LightDims.com

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    http://lightdims.com

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I use them as well, also on my record light which seems to be like a red piercing laser by itself.

8. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    The big blue circle on my HR20 was my problem, especially when I'd watch home theater in a darkened room. I took a piece of glossy photo printer paper and printed an overlay using the same shade of gray as my receiver case with a clear area for the circle. Using double sided tape, I attached it over the light, and eureka, it lets just the right amount of light through and softens the circle so it's still there but just right for darkened or lighted rooms. I'm attaching the example print so you can see what I used. I'm sure you could do the same for most any bright LED. If your unit is black, you might want to use matte instead of glossy and print a black mask to match your unit.
    The stock I used was HP postcard stock which used to come in a pack of 4 x 6 inch sheets (don't know if it's still available), but there are a lot of other photo stock type papers that would work just as well.

Attached Files:

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Cool. I did not know they made such an item. I used a piece of smoke colored window film and taped it on with scotch tape on my HR23.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's the one light you can actually turn off (though it doesn't survive a reboot). Hold down the left button of the circle, then press the right button. It cycles through several brightnesses, then off.

11. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    Wow thanks! Perfect. Now I can remove the duct tape patch, haha.

12. jjn

jjn Mentor

Dec 16, 2006
    Now if there was only a way to dim the orange record light

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Light Dims...which were mentioned earlier.

14. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    That's precisely why I went with the overlay. I got real tired of resetting it every time I did a reboot or DTV downloaded an update - now, no problems and I like the softer glow better too.

15. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Light dims work regardless of the light's color.

16. jjn

jjn Mentor

Dec 16, 2006
    Thanks, just placed an order for some.

17. Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact Cool Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Awesome. This idea is so excellent I bought some yesterday when I saw the post simply to reward them for coming up with the idea and getting it to market.

Then, last night I realized it might actually solve a problem for me. The clock/radio I use as an alarm clock is approx. 36 years old. No, I'm not joking. And I have long dreaded it's death because it has a sliding control on the clock led brightness which allows me to dim it far enough that in a pitch black room it isn't overly bright. I haven't be able to find another clock radio which allows that much dimming. These might solve my problem.... :D

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    When you get them you'll find a big rectangular light dim on the sheet, that's what I use on my red LED alarm clock to dim it. :)

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, when I got them for my DVR, I found myself sticking them onto other things.

20. golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    Not sure if I did this correctly, but I went to a non-interactive channel amd pressed the left and right arrows at the same time, several times, and the blue lights went out. It was definitely more presses than on a HR20 or other type receiver.