1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband Adapter Slowing Down The Internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by desertman, Mar 2, 2011.

1. desertman

desertman New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    I got yesterday hooked up to DirecTV. I have one HR24-200 DVR and a DECA broadband adapter. The broadband adapter is connected via cable to my router.

The broadband adapter activity (I have put some movies onto the download list) seems to slow down big time my general internet connection. I have usually download speeds between 4 and 7 Mb/s (on speedtest.net); with the broadband adapter connected this slows down to less than 0.5 Mb/s which means that I have to wait long times for every web site to load and i. e. using Skype is completely impossible.

Giving the broadband adapter in my router the lowest streaming priority and the other connected computers the highest streaming priority does not make any difference - when the adapter is connected my internet is slow, when the adapter is disconnected my internet is fast.

Are there possibilities to reduce the streaming speed of the adapter to, let's say, less than 1 Mb/s? Or, is it possible to restrict any downloading to certain times? I do not care if it takes longer to download movies but I do need a fast internet for my work.

If slowing down or restricting the downloads is not possible - is it ok to simply disconnect the adapter during the day and have it just during the night connected? Would that have any other implications than interrupting the downloads?

I'm also wondering wether the DVR has to be switched on for the downloads to work. I had put some movies on the list for downloads last night and switched everything off some hours later, and now - about 10 hours later - only one movie has been downloaded.

Thanks - desertman

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't know of any way from the DirecTV end to limit internet speed, "other than" not loading up the list of movies you've asked it to download.
    Maybe you simply need to delete them and only load them up at night when you don't need to use the internet.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Any relief is going to have to come from QoS settings on your router. What make and model is it?