1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband Stimulus Bringing Malone, Ergen Together

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by phrelin, Sep 13, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't know how I missed this. I picked this up on The Evening Bridge:
    There is more information in the Denver Business Journal. Some of it looks like they are together and separately fishing for federal funds. But it's interesting.

2. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    I know a number of people living in the "country" just outside of the urban/suburban areas around here that have no real high-speed internet options. As more and more of the economy is internet-based, it's important we bring everyone along for the ride.

It's ironic that satellite companies have been forced by regulation to offer more and more services to small/rural markets and standardized pricing when cable and fiber companies have been allowed to cherry-pick where they offer service and what prices they charge.

3. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    Blah, politics. I had satellite internet for almost 2 years with Wildblue. The service was horrible... half because poor management and half because of how satellites work (lag time, weather loss, etc.)

When I realized we could get 3G on the fringe with an outdoor antenna, I jumped on that. $10 more/month but OMG, oh how so much better.

First, they shouldn't be taking my tax money. Two, since none of us have a choice, I would rather them spend those millions and billions on something that is more reliable, better speed, etc. etc. Satellite internet has always been and always will be obsolete. Cellular companies are competitive enough to fill in the gaps. By the time they got a satellite service up/running, you're choice will be 4G (or next gen? 5G)... If you're out in the boonies, you'll just have to settle for 1.5Mb 3G (oh darn) as opposed to 512-1000K on a good day satellite.

How many cell towers could be upgraded with the necessary equipment with the amount of $ it takes to launch some sats into space?...and then you lose the sat and FLUSH!! (A failed sat?, or a failed antenna on a cell tower... You tell me which is more?)

Go USA government. Gah, if it weren't for wasteful spending, there wouldn't be all these problems. :nono2:

4. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    LOL... After reading the report again, I thought why don't they just call it a bailout? :lol:

5. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    I hear your points in support of a cell tower solution to rural internet access. However, there are large areas of the country that don't get reliable cell service. I lived in eastern Oregon where we could only get "basic" cell service at our house, and even that was marginal. There was only one provider selling any data services and it cost an arm and a leg... Just as you noted with cable companies, the cell companies cherry pick as well. You must be in some developed area to be able to get cheap data service through your cell phone.