1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadcast rules !!!

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by yelrav, Feb 17, 2012.

1. yelrav

yelrav New Member

Feb 17, 2012
    I just got rid of cable and installed a broadcast antennae. My picture is great with a signal that is uncompressed it's truly amazing. Does anybody else get their signal over the air? I receive around 40 channels.I also have netflix and hulu+.I've cut my TV bill by 2/3 of what it use to be.I pay 16$ a month for N/H and 39 a month for internet from AT&T.:)

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I watch a lot of OTA TV... but not sure what it has to do with Dish Network?

3. yelrav

yelrav New Member

Feb 17, 2012
    It has nothing to do with dish or direct just wanted to see if anybody went to total OTA and broke ties with the conventional methods.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I use OTA but half of what I watch isnt on the big 4 networks, and no local CW in HD To watch what I want when I want, strictly going OTA is out of the question.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    What? Free TV? Where? :eek:

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I do the same thing, although I still have satellite TV. I use PlayOn, FTA satellite, and 2 OTA tuners on a HTPC, then extenders in each room for OTA/internet content. Each room also has a satellite receiver as well. Some things available on satellite just cannot yet be duplicated in the internet/OTA only environment. I give it about two years.

8. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    I would like to do OTA but the signal is way too weak even with a 4-bay 20 feet up.
    Had poor OTA with analog and virtually no OTA with digital.
    OTA is all about location.
    I suspect many rural areas have problems with digital.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Heck, I couldn't get analog.;)

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That is the whole reason behind cable TV's inception. And most cable companies still offer "locals only" basic cable packages, which if bundled with their internet offerings, usually cost about the same as "Internet Only". Might be worth considering if you want to go the "OTA/Internet" route, and cannot get OTA :). If you dont have cable available, all the networks are available on FTA, although a 10' dish is still required.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I keep threatening to do that, but I don't know enough about it even after reading Sadoun's boards. I keep hearing that there isn't much in the clear any more.

Go bigger and higher. I'm using a more conventional antenna at about 45' and I get a good selection. One station from about 60 miles is flaky sometimes, but it's stable most of the time.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, for Networks, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS are available in HD, FOX in SD (sometimes HD), MeTV SD, CW HD, RTN in SD, THIStv SD, TuffTV SD, Univision HD. PBS World SD, ION HD, Telemundo HD.

News: AlJazeera English and Russia Today in SD, ABC News Now

Weather: WeatherNation SD and HD

Sports: Most all ESPN events (have to search for where they are) in HD, Universal Sports

Movies: PixL HD

Of course, if any major news event breaks, it will be covered all over the arc.

13. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Over the air signals are compressed.

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Using MPEG-2

15. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    And that's just the OTA signal. All of the major networks use compression to deliver their feeds to the local affiliates. ABC and CBS both use MPEG-4 for distribution to the local stations, as well as contribution feeds between their own facilities.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1075686.html

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    While thats great for you, OTA, Netflix and Hulu do not cover all shows people are interested in. I'm happy its working out for you but the setup I would need to record OTA would not be cheap and I wouldnt want to have to go through all that hassle for it to not see shows I want. For people that can get by on those options, I say go for it and enjoy the savings. I will also say be on the lookout for more internet providers to do away with unlimited packages if more and more people go to streaming shows.