1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Broken Transformer

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by ESA1178, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    Lots of wind here yesterday.
    Antenna came down and transformer broken.
    Do I replace it with a simple transformer from radio shack?
    screwing the appendages directly to the antenna and then attaching the coaxial for my Preamp to the transformer?

Thanks!

Mark

2. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    Yes try to get it attached back to the same elements that it was originally attached to. That is a 300:75 ohm transformer.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Actually it's use to be more a converter of balanced source to unbalanced feed ...

4. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    Not having much luck. I have my Direct DB8 Extreme antenna mounted on a 20' mast along with a Winegard AP8275 preamp. I replaced the broken transformer with this cheapy. But I am not getting any of the channels I had before the mast came down and broke the transformer.. Should I be trying a different transformer?

[​IMG]

Mark

5. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    Is it possible that your preamp got broken during the fall or even a cable? Not sure about the preamp you have but some will not pass signal if it isnt powered, make sure that is still good.

Are you getting no channels at all? Try bypassing the amp and see if you get any channels then.

I saw in the other thread you are talking about a different amp, you are not trying to use both at the same time are you? Too much gain is almost always worse than weak signal.