1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Bronze Recording Light on front pannel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drx792, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    On my second HR20-700, the one on national release, it just started to show a bronze light on the record button on the frnt pannel. It then disappeared and came back on in 10 minutes. I dont know what this means and it is not mentioned in the owners manual. It seems as if the HR20 without CE's is going to need to be relpaced soon as it locks up every now and then, and give problems while my CE box has not had one problem yet. I'll try and give it the CE tonight

2. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    I believe it lights up while a show is recording.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If it is a reddish color the modem is active. There have been some previous posts on this with far more info.

4. Jul 1, 2007 #4 of 14
    bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    I got a very bright red light last night for a few minutes, any ideas?

5. Jul 1, 2007 #5 of 14
    tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    It's dialing out. I confirmed this when I watched my wireless modem jack light up at the same time I saw the red light.

6. Jul 1, 2007 #6 of 14
    drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    Oh ok. Thanks everyone. I shoulda guessed it was doin somethin like that. I guess the reason the box with CE's doesnt do that is because its networked so it sends all the info out through that.

7. Jul 1, 2007 #7 of 14
    tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Nope, still uses the phone line.

8. Jul 9, 2007 #8 of 14
    jselinger24

jselinger24 Legend

Jan 27, 2007
    Dialing out for what. This happened a couple of times to me on both my HR20's this past week. Found it to be odd - until I saw my phone line was in use when the light was red.

So, why is it dialing out?

9. Jul 9, 2007 #9 of 14
    hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    To report info that D* wants. (they gather some info via the phone line)

10. jselinger24

jselinger24 Legend

Jan 27, 2007
    Thanks - just wanted the 4-1-1.

What kind of info does D* want?

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    With the Tivo, they collected general usage information like rewind habits, what kinds of trick play are used. They also gather some general viewing data (that is how they knew what commercials were most watched during the Super Bowl, for example).

With the network connected, some folks here have been contacted about errors on the box. They may also upload an error log via the phone.

12. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    It also sends home the PPVs you bought with your remote.

13. jdherma

jdherma New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    How does the machine communicate if there is no phone line - no internet?

14. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Welcome to DBSTalk!

It can't (if you're talking about sending PPV info back. Your card will eventually fill up and you can't get anymore via the remote). As far as guide data, that comes via the sat. There's plenty of folks that don't have their boxes hooked up to a land line. Two of mine weren't until I realized I had a problem with my wireless modem jacks. As soon as they were fixed, literally the next day I had a PPV charge from a few months ago on my bill (I wasn't trying not to pay it, just couldn't get the darn wireless modem to work).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.