1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser Battle to Heat Up in 1st Quarter

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 #1 of 25
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    With Microsoft, Google & Mozilla all working on new versions of their web browsers, the 1st quarter of 2011 should get interesting.

You can probably take everything you think you know about each browser right now and throw it out the window. Making plans to test all 3 should be on your agenda, with thorough and lengthy workouts for each one.
    Right now the latest versions (Beta) of the browsers can be found at:

Mozilla Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

Google Chrome: http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/

Internet Explorer 9: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/download/ie-9/worldwide

Enjoy!

Larry

2. Dec 4, 2010 #2 of 25
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm really enjoying Firefox 4.0 Beta 7...very sleek & fast.

3. Dec 4, 2010 #3 of 25
    Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    USA Today had a nice article on the subject, earlier this week. Things are going to get interesting.

4. Dec 4, 2010 #4 of 25
    itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Is it faster/sleeker than chrome? Have you had a chance to compare? ( I haven't yet )

5. Dec 4, 2010 #5 of 25
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    About the same...maybe a bit faster.

6. Dec 4, 2010 #6 of 25
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    ooh another version of internet explorer? YES!

7. Dec 4, 2010 #7 of 25
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't see it as a battle... especially when there is no cost for any of them.

Across all my systems... I have every one installed. On most systems I have two or three of them. Each one does something better then the other.

8. Dec 4, 2010 #8 of 25
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Making plans to test all 3

All 3? Ahem, cough, cough, hack........

http://www.opera.com Simply the best.

Yeah, I usually have Opera and SeaMonkey ( http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ ) which was also left off the list above.

9. Dec 6, 2010 #9 of 25
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    What about Opera? Where does it stand, relative to the other browsers? I haven't used it in quite some time. I've used Firefox as my default browser for several years, but noted today that IE and Firefox lag behind Safari and Chrome in limiting tracking. I've received the latest version of Chrome and use it from time to time. I use IE8 only when I encounter a site that chokes on other browsers.

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The only time I have ever used Opera, as a replacement on a mobile device.

I don't think I have seen or know anyone that has used it as a desktop browser.

11. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Achem, cough, cough, hack.....

See post 8 above. Works like a charm. Really.

(Well, OK, I guess you don't know me.)

I haven't used anything other than O or SM for years. Set up right, they'll handle almost all cookie, ad and script issues.

13. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The whole browser "war" is somewhat interesting to observe.

I use IE daily and have for many years...I simply see no reason to change.

I have tried 3 others...and remain without a reason to change.

As for the OP...I suspect not all of these products will survive, as they will require revenue to continue to update, fix, and improve them over time. Therefore, until something with a compelling reason comes along...

14. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009

If you like annoying flash ads and third party scripts it's really the only way to go. :rolleyes:

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I see very few of those...blocked.

16. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    What are you using to block ads?

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I prefer Firefox, but sometimes have to use IE (gag, choke). I wasn't overwhelmed the last time I used Chrome, but maybe I'll take another shot.

Unfortunately, on my iPad I have to use Safari, so I have to mention it.:sure:

18. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I am with you as well. I do have the big 4 (IE, Firefox, Chrome & Safari) installed on my computer just so I cam make sure the website I manage looks OK in all of them. I do use Firefox when I want to see the code in a website with firebug, but that is all I use it for other than the above.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    IR security controls can limit them...not eliminate, but reduce just fine here. I get a warning anytime a popup add or other item presents itself, and can choose if I want to open or not.
    Since all of these alternatives can't possibly survive without financial support for any length of time...come will make it and some won't. Since IE is well-funded, and has not presented any real problems, and also works well in years of use here....I just see no need to use another browser. If there was a compelling reason, I'd reconsider.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's usually a significant cost to any new version of Internet Explorer as each major version typically breaks scores of applications written to take advantage of some feature that has been substantially changed or deprecated.

While these changes may or may not be annoying to the casual user, they can be debilitating to the corporate user. I've heard two reports in the last five days where entire agencies are holding at Windows XP because they have an application that require features exclusive IE6 (it doesn't help that Windows 7 comes with quite a few other disincentives).

I disagree with the idea that running IE6 under emulation is something that should be considered an option for the heavy user.