1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brunis on NESN question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by islesfan, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I was watching the Isles @ Brunis game last night, and I noticed that the picture was really horrible. Is it always that way on NESN? I am refering to the SD NESN picture which I had on NHL Center Ice. Naturally, I am always watching the Islanders, so I rarely see NESN, and this was the first time on the HR20. I tried stretch, pillar, and crop. Crop looked the worst. It was like taking a video from YouTube and blowing it up on a 55" screen! All the sticks looked like they were made of Legos and the red and blue lines were stair-stepped like there was way too much compression.

In all the years with D* (11 now), I have NEVER seen a worse picture! If this is the way it normally is, I really feel sorry for Bruins fans!

Sorry for the typo on "Bruins," no offense intended.

2. wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    Maybe post this over at AVS in the locals section, or in the General forum.

3. greenie95125

greenie95125 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    Seeing how NESN broadcasts every game in HD, maybe it's the downsampling D* does to provide it to us in stunning SD. Why the HD feed is only available in the Boston DMA is beyond me.

--Mike

4. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    FSNY and MSG broadcast all the Isles games in HD as well, but since I watch from NV, I only get them on Center Ice in SD. Nevertheless, they have never looked this bad. Generally, on Center Ice, the Isles games are shown via the home network about 80% of the time, so I have also had a sampling of other teams broadcasts, and none have been as overcompressed as that game was.

5. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    If you really don't know the answer to that last question (bet you do), here it is. In the past summer when D* lit up the 20 or so RSNs in HD, they HAD to be put on Spaceway 1 and 2 - those sats are local spotbeams ONLY. They have ALREADY said this week at CES that NESN (and YES and some others mentioned) will be put on nationwide CONUS beams after launch of the new birds this year.

No, its not the ideal situation, but IMO at least some subs (those in local home market DMAS) get to see the HD versions, that's better than No one.

6. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I'm a Bruins fan, so I see a lot of the games that way. Unfortunately, last night's game was no worse than typical PQ lately -- in fact, better than some games, hard as it is to believe.

The strange thing is that, during baseball season, the PQ on NESN, while nothing to write home about, is actually better than many of the other RSNs.

It is somewhat depressing to pay for this level of quality.

7. PTopo

PTopo AllStar

Jan 12, 2007
    I watched it last night and the PQ was fine. NESN's color is always more dull than all the other channels. I have a separate color setting on my TV just for NESN.

8. MarkGSportsNut

MarkGSportsNut Legend

Nov 30, 2006
    I watched the game on NESN HD and it looked fine to me.

9. iceman2a

iceman2a Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    Hudson, FL...
    NESN's SD pq on D* has been poor for a long time like a lot of SD! HD pq has improved since the baseball season ended!

10. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Wish I had that option :(

11. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    I guess we have different definitions of fine.

Looks perfectly good on my 20" LCD...but on the 42" and 50" sets, the compression artifacts are quite obvious. I also have separate settings I use for SD hockey; you're right about the colors on NESN (though it isn't the worst of the RSN's in that regard).

Maybe I'm overly spoiled from my old C-Band days of getting NESN in full transponder analog...even the initial days of DirecTV provided a reasonable quality digital picture. We're nowhere near that these days. I know what excellent SD PQ looks like, and -- to me -- this isn't it.

12. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Ever see a Penguins game? Man, it looks like an old b&w movie. Sharks are pretty bad too. At least they fixed the lights at MSG during the lockout so it looks pretty good now. I am lucky as an Isles fan. The building may leak, but I'm not there to get wet, and the lighting is really good. Always has been. I remember the ice being brighter there than pretty much anywhere else I've played (and the last time I played there was in the 80's). Nevertheless, the compression on NESN was the worst I've seen. It was like watching through a screen door!

13. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, the FSN Pittburgh games are poor quality (I kinda miss their rather unique play-by-play guy as well...Mike Lange, I think?), as are the Sharks. The Isles games generally do look pretty good.

IMHO, hockey is the sport than gains the most from HD (and suffers the most from compression on SD). Very much looking forward to a Center Ice HD package in the future.

14. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    No question NHL has the most improvement in HD. NFL has great production values in either, and the static nature of football lends itself to numerous camera angles and shots (ie: the cameraman following the snap doesn't have to worry about quickly panning back to the left as he would if the puck is deflected.) After each play, you have almost a minute to review the action from 20 different angles. This is not available in hockey due to the constant action. With that said, the 3/4 view, along with the occasional red line glass cam, and end cams are really great in HD. (How about the goal cam in HD?, that would be cool).

I see your locagion as Tampa? Remember how bad the Lightning looked in their old place (Thunderdome, right?)

15. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Oh, yeah, the Thunderdome (now Tropicana Field). Not exactly the best venue for hockey, live or on TV. The new arena has good hockey sightlines in person, though...and live still beats HD.

I grew up watching the Bruins in the old Garden. Sitting in the upper deck, you were right on top of the action. Course you had to beat off the rats ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.