1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Buffer question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by CrazyforYeshua, Dec 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    I searched, but couldn't find any recent threads on this....Why do we not have a buffer for the channel that you're on? For example: If the TV is on channel 27, and I'm watching something recorded, and it's over, why can't I back up to watch, say, a half hour before to catch the news? I guess I'm used to D*'s DVR's, cause you can do that, but I haven't figured out why you can't with Dish....

2. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

The work around is to make sure both tuners are tuned to the same channel.;)

3. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Or the way I've done it, is to simply swap the buffering tuner with the other tuner, putting the buffering one into the "background", THEN start watching DVR'd events.

THEN, when you want to check on the buffered tuner after you are done with the DVR, simply go back to live tv, then swap the buffered tuner from the background...you can even put the buffered tuner on PAUSE & leave it there. As long as you put it back in the background BEFORE you go back to DVR'd shows, the pause will remain until you bring it back as the active tuner on live TV.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You do have a buffer for the channel you are on... EXCEPT when watching a recording. I do not know why... But that is and has been a limitation of the Dish DVRs the whole time.

5. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    Don't ya think that's kind of weird tho? I mean, that's the one hook, isn't it? To be able to rewind and watch what you've missed...and not just for live TV. I don't know why Dish chose to do that...but on a duo 722, that is hooked up to 2 TV's, that won't work at all....since you only have 1 tuner...

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It is only a problem when you watch a recording... The rest of the time it is buffering. The workaround is to record the channel before you begin playback... Then you can watch that new recording later.

I would guess it is a performance limitation, otherwise they would have it buffering during playback.

7. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    I forgot to ask...how do you put it in the "background"?

8. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    The DVR automatically does it when you swap to the other tuner...

9. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure how to do that, I'm still new to Dish....

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Use PIP function keys.

11. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Towards the bottom of your remote is a "Swap" button. The reciever will need to be in the Single Mode and it will swap tuner 1 & tuner 2, depending on your receiver it is what allows for picture in picture as well.

12. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    Thank you!