1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Bug in DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ToBeFrank, Jul 20, 2013.

1. ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank Legend

May 15, 2009
    I'm on channel 248 FXHD, saw an advert for "True Grit" for Sunday at 8PM. Cool, I want to record it. I go to search and bring it up. I see I can buy it on VOD or select one of the FX showings (which is actually 5PM or 7:30PM). I select one of the FX showings so I can record it and... it will only let me buy it for $3.99. What? So next I go to the guide, take it over to Sunday at 5PM on FX, select the showing and... it will only let me buy it for $3.99. Anyone else seeing this? I should be able to schedule this to record without paying, right?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Just tried it, and as you said, it comes up with a charge if I want to watch.
    I hope it's a temporary glitch and not some unsavory change.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    It takes True Grits to charge for it on FX.:)

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I get it as well. Very strange.

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'd say chutzpah, and a lack of judgement! At the very least, there should be a badge in the Guide showing its PPV.

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I remember this happening in the past as well.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Also happens the following week on FX with X-Men Origins: Wolverine

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Certain movies do it, it's not the networks fault. DirecTV has a glitch. I forgot the workaround to get it right. I had this issue like 2 or 3 weeks ago with a movie on Starz.

9. brian26339

brian26339 New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Should be able to set up a manual record, channel, date, time, duration. I would think that would work.

10. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    I had this problem also.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As mentioned, this bug has been around before. If you haven't, be sure to post this in the Issues thread so the appropriate DirecTV people will see it.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This not a "bug" more like instant "gratification" on DirecTV eyes...

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This not a "bug" more like instant "gratification" on DirecTV eyes...

:lol:

- Merg

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I've checked into it more and it's happening on pretty much any movie that is being broadcast that is also available via OD even if there's no charge for the OD content. The unit wants you to get the OD content period.

15. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    IMHO this is a bug, it has been around for a while. DirecTV seems to have their own reasons why they do not consider it a bug, but I can't agree.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    While that is not necessarily a bad thing, the issue here is that sometimes the OD content is not HD and the customer wants to watch it in HD. Myself, I would probably suck it up if that meant I didn't have to worry about it being edited for content or having to skip through commercials. Of course in the OP's situation, it is definitely an issue as the OP doesn't want to pay to watch a show that is being aired for free.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I don't watch all that much OD, but everything in the last couple of weeks has been very soft- more like SD of so-so quality. A case in point is the pilot of Bridge which I watched some of last evening.

Is some VOD in true HD?

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I don't watch all that much OD, but everything in the last couple of weeks has been very soft- more like SD of so-so quality. A case in point is the pilot of Bridge which I watched some of last evening.

Is some VOD in true HD?

Yes. I just watched stuff from A&E that was in HD

- Merg

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What, please? I'd like to test here.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I believe it was The Glades. I had missed recording the first few episodes of this season so I downloaded them from VOD. The opening sequence even says that it is A&E HD. I definitely liked how you could FF without issue.

- Merg