1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BUG REPORT L146: Bit Rot (Memory Leak) in Memory?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by ggw2000, Feb 28, 2004.

1. ggw2000

ggw2000 Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Got a new TV delivered yesterday so I was using my 921 to excess in changing channels, aspects, etc.. After a while of this I noticed that the 921 was slowing down drastically to commands from the remote. I expected the little gray "X" at any moment but it hung in there until I turned it off to go to bed. When I got up this morning the blue light was on so it had finally given up the ghost and rebooted over night.
    Having worked with computers since the Commordore 64 (dates me), I have quite of bit of experience with how software bogs down. A good example of this is the Windows 95-98 s/w. After heavy use you would start using up the available resources allocated in the program and the system would become sluggish. This almost always led to a system crash. I don't have much experience with Linux but it probably is using some sort of "resources". It seems that old remote commands or something is not being cleared out and this is leading to "bit rot" that eventually crashes the system. Some work must have been done in this area with L146 as it goes longer before crashing. Well just my 2 cents worth.......... Gerry

2. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Have you tried using the buttons on the front panel when the remote becomes sluggish? If they both show sluggishness, then maybe there is someting wrong with some task not servicing interrupts in a timely fashion. If the buttons on the face are responseive, and the remote is not, then it might be something else.

3. Foxbat

Foxbat Legend

Aug 1, 2003
    Gerry, I think the term you're looking for is "Memory Leak". "Bit Rot" usually affects memory locations that shouldn't change, like an executable, or constant data values, and can be caused be a stray alpha particle flipping the contents of the memory cell.

Too bad they couldn't use VMS... There are VMS systems that have been up since the '80s.

4. opiwan

opiwan New Member

Nov 14, 2002
    I'm a very heavy Linux user and don't tend to see memory leaks in the acutal O/S. Programs on the other hand...

There's probably a good few memory leaks in the 921 code with all the talk of reboots with the system.

5. ggw2000

ggw2000 Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Foxbat, memory leak would have been better terminology here. Maybe they could give us an "event" timer so we could setup a early morning daily reboot at a time of OUR choosing ;) .