1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BUG REPORT L146: Error 679 HD Recording of 0 seconds

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by SimpleSimon, Feb 18, 2004.

1. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Twice this week, I've gotten zero-length recordings. When I try to play them, I get Attention 679:
    The event you selected was not recorded.
    Please delete this event. It is not viewable.​

Interesting choice of words :nono2: kindof a Catch-22 or such

Anyway, both shows were on 9454 CBSHD, the record light was on, another program was being recorded, and at "appropriate" times, the CBSHD program was displayed in the PIP window that is on the various PVR menu screens.

No trouble with any other recordings (that I know of).

I deleted one of them with no change in available disk space - BUT the available time seems much lower than it should be !!! :eek2: :confused:

The 921 has NOT (yet) rebooted since the delete. Sure hope the dang thing does disk allocation validation during that ridiculously long 8 minute boot process.

Now that I think about it - that'd be about right to scan a high-speed 250GB disk. Of course, that can't be what's going on, because the box says it's getting info from the satellite, not that it's checking the drive. :rolleyes:

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Happened again tonight. I've deleted and recreated the timer - maybe that'll help.

As for the disk space issue, it seems to be OK - guess I miscalculated the numbers before.

3. borfhead

borfhead Mentor

Feb 2, 2004
    I had the same error message (zero length recording) on a recording of Two and a Half Men (Monday night, 2/23) on CBS-HD on channel 9453 (NY). Since I'm on the west coast, it was supposed to be recording at 6:30 pm and I did not happen to notice if the record light was on or not. This same timer fired and recorded fine the previous two weeks (L145) and is right after a timer for Everybody Loves Raymond, which has worked all three weeks without a problem.

On Thursday, I happen to notice that the record light was not on for a recording that was supposed to be on at 6:00 pm on the same channel (CSI) and when I looked at the DVR list, the recording that was supposed to fire at 5:00 pm (Survivor) didn't record at all either. These are obviously different than the posted problem above with the zero length recording, but troublesome none the less.

I have now deleted all the timers and re-created them via the guide, since doing them manually doesn't work (weekly timers end up changing days on me from what I set it up for), so we'll see what happens over the next week.

4. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    It gave me the same error message for King of Queens. I'll kill the old timer and make a new one to see if it works next week (I'll also record the analog CBS feed just in case).

5. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    I've had several instances where timers didn't fire. I have M-F timers set for Letterman and Leno and several times they never "took" and, no, these are not for OTA programming.

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    What we are seeing is a timer that fires, creates a recorded event, but then the event is "empty" (0 seconds). Are you seeing that or just a non-executing timer?

BTW, I just got hit with it again tonight - this time on HDNET.

7. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    I saw the "O" timer just once. I've seen non-firing timers 2-3 times. I wish I could be more specific but I don't always know what I have scheduled and therefore don't know what I've missed because THE DOLTS THAT WROTE THE SOFTWARE DIDN'T REALIZE THAT IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW THE PROGRAM NAME BEFORE IT RECORDS AND NOT JUST THE CHANNEL AND THE TIME.

8. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Watch it, FarNorth. I realize that you (and most everyone else) is very frustrated with the current state of the 921, but your statement is out of line. If you are that upset with your 921, with the programmers or with Dish, I'm sure you would have no problems finding someone else to take it off your hands for what you paid for it.

9. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Actually, I'm not all that unhappy with my 921. It's rebooted a couple of times when it shouldn't have, missed a couple of timers but overall I'm reasonably happy. The HD performance is spectacular, the guide data is head and shoulders better than my 510 and it downloads the guide data smoothly and with no hassles; my 510 use to stop and get the data every day. I had a couple of 'blue line' sightings but haven't seen them lately and even the SD PQ seems to have improved. My biggest concern right now is the non-firing timers. If I miss something that is crucial if a timer doesn't fire, I will not be happy. And I still can't understand how Dish could release this machine with the software not showing the names of pending timers. My 510 does, my TiVo does, virtually every machine on the market does....except the all-new, state of the art, $1,000 921.

10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    If you're talking about the names not being in the 1-line summary of timers, yeah, it'd be nice, but not easy to do - not enough screen space - even with a smaller font.

When you use Menu-7, the program name appears when you highlight the timer.

When you use the DVR button, it does not. There's already at least one feature request in for changes to the DVR list (more lines per pages). If the guys are going to go in and mess with that, this would be a good addition.

11. John Quaglino

John Quaglino AllStar

Aug 5, 2003
    Mark,

Does Eldon have any leads on the 0 minute recordings? While I feel the 921 is more stable with 146 and 147, it still is missing too many satellite recordings. Of my last two recordings, one was split (reboot) and one was 0 minutes. I think I'm running around a 80% success rate on satellite recordings.

12. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, I believe so. That's all I can say right now.

13. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    That's weird. Out of about 250 timer firings since Early January, I've only had two of the 0 minute recordings (both were on CBS-HD).

14. conner65

conner65 AllStar

Jan 26, 2004
    I have had two 0 minute recordings this week. Both were OTA. The thing that bothers me is that I was watching the 921 waiting for it to fire. When it didn't I manually started recording "Kingdom Hosptial" and manually shut it off. I went to watch it today and got the 0 seconds. I did a reboot. Do I need to re-enter the timers?

15. borfhead

borfhead Mentor

Feb 2, 2004
    I had two last night....both on WCBS-DT on DISH (when it was off air). Tuning to that channel during the down time, showed only grey screen. No messages or anything, so it appears the 921 didn't record because there was no signal on the channel? Don't know....

16. John Quaglino

John Quaglino AllStar

Aug 5, 2003
    Bob,
    It is probably really about 90%. I've only had three 0 minute recordings. I've had many split recordings lately.

17. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I had 2 more last night - both on CBS-HD. I was watching the second of them "live" (only because I was anticipating the failure). The 921 menus and lights showed it was recording while I was watching it. When it completed, it was 0 seconds.

18. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Were you using a timer which was set up before the Viacom shutdown on Monday?

Many are recommending redoing your timers to lessen the chance of a problem..........

19. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    No help - I've done that more than once.

CBS-HD tonight kicked - while it was "recording" I "View"d it. "Start Over" didn't, "Skip Back" didn't, etc. No PVR functions. Hit "Stop" and it still showed as recording. Got a Info Banner showing channel 77 UKN (non-existent channel and I suspect UKN means UnKNown). The title was "Unknown Record". Remote power-down/up cleared it. "Rec" got it to start PVR'ing again - but now I have TWO Events "recording". I can channel up/down and the good recording is unaffected. BOTH Events are accessing the same disk data. Hitting "View" on the 'bad' (still showing as recording even tho it isn't) event caused a black screen. Channel up/down clears it.

After front-panel-5-sec-hold-power-off reboot, it's back to normal with the terminated event having good data and acting OK.

I could probably come up with more symptoms, but Eldon should have enough by now with what everyone's been posting. Sure would be nice to know if this is on the L148 fix list - or is at least acknowledged as a bug.

20. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Simon, I've tried to replicate this on mine under L146, and now and under neither version have I been able to. It's known that it's a bug, but it's one of those that are being very difficult to track down because it doesn't happen on every 921, and it doesn't appear to be easily replicated. Every single detail you can provide is helpful.