1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug Report L184: Small Picture on start up

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by lapplegate, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Jun 4, 2004 #1 of 12
    lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    Haven't seen this one listed.
    I turn my 921 off during the night. At least 80% of the time, when I start the unit the picture will be in the upper left corner of my TV screen. It appears as a PIP window (about the same size) and is positioned against the top and side (with no gap between the picture and TV screen outsides). A simple channel up or down will bring it to full size and it will fill the TV screen. This does not happen just when it is off overnight, but any time it is powered on.
    Is this a known problem or a problem at all?
    Thanks,

2. Jun 4, 2004 #2 of 12
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    This is the first I've heard of this. When you say turn it off, do you mean put it into standby (power button on the remote) or do you mean pull the plug?

And, does the 921 crash and reboot if you leave it along in the small window situation for a period of time when you bring it up? I would expect it to - a while ago, when the video went to a little window in the upper left corner of the screen, that was always a precursor to a GSOD crash.

How are you connected to your television, and what are your display properties set to (1080i, 16x9, etc)?

3. Jun 4, 2004 #3 of 12
    lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    Mark,
    I power off with the remote (macro in the system off on my mx500). It will also happen if I power off to leave (not just overnight). When it happens I don't give it time to reboot, I immediately hit the channel up and it fills the screen. I leave my set in 1080i, 16:9 and it is connected through HD component (no DVI). I have had the 921 for about 10 days and have not yet seen the GSOD.
    I switch to SD every night (prior to powering off) to watch in the bedroom (connected w/ SD Component). I have mainly noticed it when I power off, leave and come back and power on. This is because my wife does the initial morning start up and reports from that source are vague at best. It is as if it came on in the PIP (with nothing in the background but a blank screen), but it is completely in the upper left corner and not sitting slightly in the screen. Also, when I channel up it is the picture that is in the small window that goes full screen, not another channel as in a swap.

4. Jun 4, 2004 #4 of 12
    ggw2000

ggw2000 Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    I had this happen to me one time last week. But in my case it happened after I switched to SD mode for a while (svideo) and then back to HD mode (1080i/16x9/component). It has not happen since but then again I almost exclusively use HD mode. Gerry ps: I turn my 921 off in HD mode every night.

5. Jun 4, 2004 #5 of 12
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I'll start turning mine off in SD mode tonight and see what happens.

6. Jun 4, 2004 #6 of 12
    lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    To think about it, my macros always have the unit in sd when powering off and it goes to hd when powering up. It could be the off in sd on in hd that is doing it. I will play around some tonight and see if I can make it come and go.

7. Jun 4, 2004 #7 of 12
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, if you're doing that with a macro, then you are coming on in SD and then immediately switching to HD mode. As the discrete sd/hd codes aren't quite there yet, I'd be interested in hearing how you guarantee this behavior (if you haven't told me already and I just don't remember it), but it may be the switch from sd to hd mode before the 921 is fully out of standby that is causing the bug. I'll try to remember to add the switch to my power on macro as well to see if I can replicate with mine.

8. Jun 4, 2004 #8 of 12
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I've had this happen, but I don't remember how, except that SD was involved because I was dumping something to tape around then.

9. Jun 4, 2004 #9 of 12
    Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    I have seen the image in the upper left maybe 3 or 4 times when powered up. I generally leave the 921 in HD mode, but sometimes change to SD for the downstairs TV. Couldn't say which mode it was in when it happened.

Mark
    You can force the 921 to HD or SD with a macro. I programmed one into my Pronto. I'm not at home, so pulling it out of memory for HD:
    MENU
    LEFT ARROW
    UP ARROW
    UP ARROW
    ENTER
    LEFT ARROW
    UP
    UP
    UP
    ENTER
    RIGHT
    RIGHT
    ENTER

The trick is that the UP does not wrap around to the bottom of the selection buttons. This will force the HD and aspect ratio. To force to SD, change the UP to DOWN. Again, this is from memory when I programmed the Pronto 6 months ago, so I could have the exact sequance a bit off.

10. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    Mark and all,
    I was able to make the small screen condition come and go. Here it is:
    While power is on and in HD, switch to sd then power off. power back on (while still in sd). watch for a flicker (on the TV screen) to indicate the unit is up. Now hit hd/sd. there will be a small picture in the upper left (channel up will restore). If you repeat with sd then off and power on and immediately hit hd/sd it will be fine. I found this because my "system on" macro will power on then hd/sd page up (to force hd because my system off forces sd mode). It appears that the time used to hd/sd page up is lagging enough to cause this.

FYI when watching in hd mode, if I hit the hd/sd button (go to sd) the picture will remain. It is very "garbbled" but still present for a short while.

Also for those of you that are having the caller id popup problem, I have been able to repeat this problem also. I will post in the thread: bug report L182: caller id popup.

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Larry - I put the SD/HD-PageUp macro back into my pronto setup last night, and was able to replicate this at will. I then left the 921 with the video compressed in the upper left corner of the screen all night (9 hours +), and was surprised that this condition did not force the 921 to crash and reboot. I've reported our findings.

12. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    Mark,
    Thanks, I thought I was seeing things. I have since removed the pronto macro and just do a hd force on start up . I use a manual change to sd for the bedroom.