DBSTalk Forum banner

BUG REPORT L186: Can't get to point dish screen without seeing satellite

980 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ctdish 
#1 ·
I've moved to a new house, and am trying to put up a new dish. The 921 doesn't behave very well, though, when it doesn't have a signal.

Most of the time pressing the power button will give me the green light around the power button (but no HD/SD lights). If I do a reboot, then I get a display to come up, but it sits there trying to download data from the satellite (which it can't see!) and doesn't let me press the menu key.

If the machine is "off", the info key does bring up the info fully, so its not like I've got a dead battery in the remote. I get the same lack of responsiveness with both the RF remote as well as my MX500 IR.

Any ideas how I can get into the setup so I can point the dish?

#3 ·
If you have another satellite receiver, hook it up in place of the 921 to position your antenna to orbits 119/110. If not find a locating device and hook it to you dish antenna so you can get it pointed in the right direction. I think that usually a check switch should be performed before the download but if the receiver was already programed with the check switch and you are using the same configuration, most likely all is ok. I don't know what will happen after a period of time if the software isn't downloaded. It may change to the point dish option?

#4 ·
I'm not wanting to use Dishmover because I don't want to commit, and because they'd charge me extra to move my extra dishes.

So it sounds like people are saying the 921 isn't useful for pointing dishes, as all other receivers I've had in the past (1000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 7100, 7200, 821) are. I do have a 7200, but its still packed in the garage somewhere.

#5 ·
When you're trying to boot on the 921, do you have a UNaimed satellite connected?

If so, try disconnecting the feeds and see if you can get it to go into Point Dish mode.

Don't forget to try the front panel buttons - they sometimes act differently than the remote ones. I'm not sure, but it could be that pressing SysInfo on the FrontPanel while the box is in StandBy will get you to a place where you can get into Point Dish.

#6 ·
No luck. The front panel buttons respond about the same as the remote. The system info page does come up happily, but won't let me get in anywhere else.

The screen I get is "acquiring data from satellite" or something, occurs whether I have the 921 connected to an LNB, the SW64, or disconnected.

#7 ·
I guess all I can offer is try patience - maybe it'll eventually timeout and let you get to Point Dish.

I had no trouble seting my 921 up the first time.

#9 ·
bytre -

Please read the rules concerning thread titles and system information required in your posts. The boot and flash version may very well come into play with this one.

You're supposed to be able to access the Point Dish screen before the 921 finishes acquiring data from the satellite. Can you get into the menu by pressing the MENU button on the front of the unit before the acquiring data message comes up?

#10 ·
Sorry, I thought the titles was for the bug board. I'll be better about that in the future.

I've tried multiple attempts to hit buttons while the system is booting before the acquiring data screen comes up with no luck. I do have the 186 software, I will check the boot and flash versions tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.