1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bugs and Feature Request for Ext HD

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by WillSad, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillSad

WillSad Cool Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Just got the external HD working today(after enabling yesterday). A few observations on design issues/bugs and some feature requests.

Bugs/Design issue:
    USB power output on 622 does not seem sufficent for some external HD devices. I have a 250 GB WD Passport. When the drive is connected directly to the PVR it does not get enough power to start up. Workaround: use USB Hub. USB 1.1 hub was a disaster, USB 2.0 HUB has been working great. option 2: find a Y cable. I did not try it but it seems to be a workaround that WD is aware of. Reading some other posts, I wonder if drive power could be causing some of hte issues.
    Timers. If I move recordings over to the external HD my PVR does not seem to be aware that I recorded an event so it will record the episode I just archived onto the 622 the next time it shows up.

Features Request:
    Let me record directly to the external device
    allow me to sort items on the external hd
    allow me to move an entire folder to the external hd
    allow me to move from the dvr list on the 622

I'm sure I'll run into others. but overall now that I have the usb 2.0 hub I am much happier. Look forward to how you add on to the feature.

will

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    All good suggestions WillSad. As for the sufficient power, my external USB drive is a WD MyBook at it has its own external power. Hmm you might be on to something as I assumed people would be using USB drives that provided their own power. Silly me. As for the 1.1.

I believe the 622 is USB 2.0 and using USB 1.1 is just asking for pain. ;)

3. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    It is my opinion that many of the issues people are reporting with their external hard drives are being caused by insufficient power to the device. I believe each hard drive should use its own AC power adapter and not rely solely on USB power.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC

We have seen threads where some people have DPP44 switches and are not using a power inserter, but rather the ViP is powering that switch. Could even be a handful of External hard drive users are doing that and trying to power the hard drive through USB. I bet that is asking for trouble.

5. Marriner

Marriner Legend

Jan 23, 2006
    It seems to me that the external hard drive menu could be a little less clunky. You have to "check" an event to play it. The interface should have the look and feel of the dvr controls for the internal hard drive. It would also be nice to be able to record directly to the usb drive when scheduling a dvr event. And last but not least, the usb drive should be accessible by the TV2 user as well as TV1.

6. David-A

David-A AllStar

Feb 21, 2006
    Naturally, we would like the external drive interface to be transparent to the user and allow us to do anything to/from the external drive that we can do currently with the internal drive: record from all three tuners while playing back a previous recording, all at the same time. That would take approximately 4 times the bandwidth it takes just to play back a recording. You'd think that if that could have been done, it would have. Perhaps the USB interface isn't fast enough for that.

On the other hand if they had a function which allowed a choice of either play back or making one recording at a time, but not both, that would seem possible. However, I imagine some people would be confused by that implementation.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    When the rest of the population howls because you must choose a drive to record to as part of the process, I'll be pointing a finger at you.

What if you set up to record a show to the external drive and it is unavailable?

8. David-A

David-A AllStar

Feb 21, 2006
    If bandwidth weren't a problem, I could imagine the user specifying an internal/external drive priority which would specify whether you wanted the recording to go to the internal or external drive. However, if there wasn't enough disk space or that drive wasn't on line, it would go to the next lower priority drive. (I'm allowing for multiple external drives.)

However, I doubt Dish can or will allow recording directly to the external drive. Others have suggested having an option to automatically transfer the recording from the internal to external drive. If the external drive wasn't connected, it would just leave the recording on the internal drive. This would be a very useful option to me and there would be no bandwidth problems as it wouldn't matter to the 622 whether the transfer was done automatically or manually as it is done now.

9. Gary Noonan

Gary Noonan Mentor

Oct 14, 2005
    It would be great to be able to sort the programs on the USB drive the same way one can on the 622.

10. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Absolutely. My main problem is the TV2 user tends to keep and lock everything he likes, a problem just begging for an EHD solution. But since those recordings can't be accessed from TV2, I'm left to move my smaller backlog to an EHD at which point the TV2 user will see free space and fill it to where I again have only a day or 2 of margin before recordings are lost. :( But I digress. If there is a limitation of one stream at a time(?), I suggest locking out the other user whenever either is using the EHD.

11. BrianG

BrianG Cool Member

Jul 9, 2006
    It looks like Dish didn't do much testing of this external HD feature. If you send a protected event (recording) to the external HD, you cannot remove that event by deleting or transferring back. There's no way to get rid of it. In addition, if you try unsuccessfully to delete the event, you cannot transfer any more events to the external HD. It just give you an error pop-up.

ViP-622 with Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB

12. Spike375

Spike375 Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Anybody else experience this? I'm using a WD My Book 750GB, but a little wary to try this because I just transferred most of my events and I still want to be able to move events to the external drive, and unfortunately most of my events were protected.

13. BrianG

BrianG Cool Member

Jul 9, 2006

I unplugged the hard drive and the dish receiver. When everything came back up I was able to transfer events to the external hard drive again. Still can't delete the protected events on the external hard drive though. When I try to transfer the protected events back to the ViP-622 disk they transfer OK, but they leave the original copy on the external hard drive and they still cannot be deleted from the external hard drive.

14. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Hmmm I will have to give that a try. I am pretty sure I have done that without any issues, but I will give it a try tonight. I know for a fact I have moved Protected shows back and forth and it did not leave the protected show on the external dirve.

I do see a lot of posts about people with Seagate USB drives having issues so what you might be seeing is something specific to your Seagate line.

15. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    The biggest thing I'd like to see is the ability to back up your configuration and timers to the external drive.

16. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I had similar problems with shows not being able to delete them after viewing them on my SEagate external hard drive. Once I figured out that seagate hard drives are set to turn off after 15 minutes of use, I knew that this was all related to the problems. I went to the seagate website and downloaded the zip file and the utilities menus. I then plugged my external hard drives to my computer and let it find my drive. ONce it did I changed the hard drive to never turn off under utilities options and the problems went away. I can now use my external hard drive just like my internal hard drive and shows now delete off the external drive just like the internal. I also turn the drive off when I am through watching tv because I don't want to wear the drive out prematurely.

17. BrianG

BrianG Cool Member

Jul 9, 2006
    I have no trouble deleting unprotected events from the external hard drive. I have done this a dozen times or so. I only have trouble deleting protected ones. The ViP-622 acts like it is deleting the event, but it remains in the menu. I just tried to delete a protected event and nothing happened. I then successfully deleted an unprotected event. Then I tried to delete the protected event again and nothing happened. This is not a drive spin down issue.

18. eatonjb

eatonjb Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    ok, so heres the problem I am having.

I formatted and copied a few movies to my external drive

I then a few days later whent to view them.. now the 622 is saying that the drive is not formatted . so I lost the few movies that I archived.

anyone else have this problem? Bug, is there a fix that anyone knows of in the works?

i like this idea, but now it does not work! just for giggles. I found another hard drive .. I am going to test this one, and see if it works for more then a day or so.. archive old shows that I have seen already.

I restarted the external drive, and also the 622.. no come back :(..

also, why would I need to format the drive and then REBOOT for it to work..

19. mwsmith2

mwsmith2 Legend

Nov 15, 2004
    I'd like to see a button on my DVR recording lists that says "archive" so I can do that right from that menu, rather than going through the menu/multimedia/usb devices/send to device routine.

20. hdaddikt

hdaddikt Legend

Jul 2, 2005
    I have a similar problem. Will not delete any event in the ex HD but say it is... the event still shows...Be interested to know what you downloaded. All I found was SeaTools and the Disk Wizard. Does your pc work on Linux? Because the drives are formatted for Linux by the 622.
    I assume you made your changes in Windows?
    Seems like a lot of trouble to have to power down the drive when not in use.
    I was going to wait a month before mounting my ex drive to the 622 to see what kind of problems might creep up. Now I am sorry I did not follow my intuition, although it does transfer and archive for the time being.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.