1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a website questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Scott Kocourek, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I own a small business and would like to start a website. I am completely clueless on how this works other than I am pretty sure I would need to hire someone to build and host the site. I can't stand a site that does not work well.

Some of the things I would like are a simple email link that would use the name of the business, no ads, a few photos, logo and that's really it. (That I can think of.)

My question is, how much can I expect to pay for this? Design, hosting, domain name...

One of the programs that I use is Quickbooks and they offer hosting but I am not sure I want to be tied to something like that, any advice would be appreciated.

2. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    I use siteground for my website hosting and pay $30 a year with the domain name included. They have free tools and templates for your website if you wanted to do it yourself. If you want someone to design your website, the price is about $50 and up.

3. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Hey Scott

Another site to checkout:
    http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/v2/pages.hostingPlans

I had used them previously but moved when I outgrew their capabilities.

Dead simple web design as you describe above shod be no more than $500.00 and I think you'll be able to find it for much less.

Kevin

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There are a number of hosting services out there that offer enough for a few pages for as little as $20/year.

Does your ISP allow you to use your personal page(s) for commercial endeavors?

As for site design, consider what you would think of a static page versus one that has had a little thought put into it. Business card websites tend to be looked at somewhat dismissively these days.

Consider not having your e-mail address appearing on your site (use a script or address obfuscation). It is more an invitation to spam than to prospective customers. I can guarantee that the spammers will find it.

Go Daddy is hosting for $3.99/month under a promotion currently going on. They also offer some of the best domain registration deals.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Another site worth checking is www.1and1.com

6. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    I have a comercial service at my office, the worry is it is a DSL service and at the limit so download speeds are limited. I don't lnow if they will be the service that I will be with down the road, I am not sure that matters, can the site be transferred to another host?

The Business card site may be a little more basic than what I am looking for but being a service type excavating business doesn't lend itself to having prices readily available, almost all jobs require an estimate. I do think I could have a page of photos of completed work and one of exactly what we do, and finally have the option to expand.

The business was started 35 years ago and I took it over about 5 1/2 years ago and we do almost no advertising, the website would be a convenience for those who no longer use phone books. I realized I am one of those people.

7. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    I appreciate all of your input and will look at all of the links over the next couple of days. I am in no hurry and don't want to screw it up, I rather have no website than a bad one. If I am not happy, nobody else will be either.

8. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Unless you're selling products online, I would recommend using Facebook instead of a website.

With facebook, you can easily keep the content current and relevant, upload photos, videos, and your updates are immediately sent to anyone who "likes" your page.

Several area restaurants in my town do it, and I have to say that it's nice to know what's on the specials menu every day.

But the same theory applies to whatever business you're in.

You can setup a page for your business as a sub-page of your personal page, or you can all out and set it up as a commercial page.

Websites get stale and neglected.
    Facebook stays as current as you care to keep it.

Here's a local restaurant that works it very well.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/kahills?ref=ts

9. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Also, be sure to add your business to indices like Google maps, Yelp, etc.
    Users of smart phones will find you this way.

10. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    And a link to DBSTalk

11. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    What's the street address? :lol: