1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Building new...best way to cable this?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by jckelsey, Nov 9, 2013.

1. jckelsey

jckelsey Cool Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Building a new house and its time to start running cables. Going to have a total of 7 TV locations. 4 bedrooms, 1 office, 1 living room, 1 in the basement. All of the docs I've seen all seem to say the maximum on a 2 hopper configuration is 6 tvs. I don't want to have to have 2 dishes mounted outside if I can avoid it. Is there a way to make this work with a single satellite dish? I was planning to have each location run RG6 back to a central point in the basement. I was thinking put both hoppers down there, run HDMI's up to the living room and office, joey's take care of the 4 bedrooms. 1 short though :( Is there a better way to skin this cat?

Thanks all!

-J

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Best operation for Hopper is Hopper + 2 Joeys, so you need at least 2 Hoppers and 5 Joeys, depending on how many viewers you have in the house, you may want to go 3 Hoppers.

2 Hoppers is easily done with one D1000.2 and I believe 3 Hoppers can run off one Dish.

The problem with more than 2 Joeys per Hopper is that you run out of tuners for that 3rd Joey if the other 3 are busy either recording or viewing.

If you only have 4 or 5 concurrent viewers in the house, you can get by with 2 Hopper s+ 5 Joeys.

3. foghorn2

foghorn2 AllStar

Jun 17, 2006
    If I had the chance to re run cables again, I would run all you can afford, including HDMI from main rooms to smaller rooms- futureproof your home!!

4. Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz Mentor

Jan 22, 2003
    Three Hoppers will run off one dish (1K2).