1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building new house--need advice on D* installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jbuch, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1 of 10
    jbuch

jbuch Mentor

Jun 22, 2004
    We're building a new home and I'm having RG6 and Ethernet run into each of the 5 bedrooms, the living room, the family room, the computer room, and the kitchen. I currently own two HR-24's and plan to add a Genie and a client. My cable internet, router, and my D* feeds from the dish and RG6 runs to all those locations will be in my mechanical room. I've got 9 locations with RG6 and Cable but only plan on using 4 of the locations. What would be the best way to hook up this system? My thoughts were to use a SWM-16 so that all connections could be live. Is it as simple as running 1 RG6 line from the SWM-16 to a deca module and then connecting that into my router and just connecting each rooms feed into the SWM-16? I want all my receivers to be able to use MRV and connect to the internet.

2. Sep 5, 2013 #2 of 10
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Run conduits for future expansion.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #3 of 10
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Reminder- The swm16 needs 4 rg6 from the Dish - (cable internet) needs one - SO be sure to pull at least six from where (Cable & Phone Demarc) are located outside -to your central location Where the room drops are located.

4. Sep 5, 2013 #4 of 10
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If DirecTV was to come out for the dish install with your current two HR24s, they would most likely only install a dish with a SWM LNB which requires one wire to your mechanical room. And that LNB only supports eight tuners.

So try the Mover's connection with DirecTV when you're ready to move and get the Genie and client (free would be nice); then they will install the dish with four wires to your mechanical room and then a SWiM16.

But from what I've read here, I wouldn't hook up all nine rooms until you're acttualy using them. And make sure you don't exceed eight tuners per each output on the SWiM16.

5. Sep 5, 2013 #5 of 10
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You need to be careful on how you hook stuff up to the SWM16. There are two outputs, and each of the outputs can support a maximum of 8 tuners. If you get a Genie, that's 5 tuners. DVRs are 2 tuners and receivers are 1 tuner. Clients do not have their own tuners (they use a Genie tuner). So simply connecting all of your coax runs up puts you at risk of loading one side or the other of the SWM16 with too many tuners. The best suggestion is to bring all of your coax runs back to the central location but do not connect them. Identify them so you can connect them in the future as needed. Then, when you do add (or move) equipment, you can connect to an applicable splitter port so as to not overload either of the SWM outputs.

In addition, having larger splitters just so you can hook up unused coax results in signal loss through the splitter. What you really want to do if you move a receiver is to disconnect the coax to the old location, and connect the coax to the new location, to the same single splitter port. With a Genie, one client, and two DVRs I would use two output splitters. First SWM port goes to splitter one. The two outputs go to the Genie and the client. Second SWM port goes to splitter two. The two outputs go to the two DVRs. No excess splitter ports (and therefore, no excess signal loss).

As WestDC noted, make sure you have four coax from outside into your central location (to connect the dish to the SWM16), in addition to any coax you might need for internet or cable tv. If you want off-air television, then add another coax for that (from outside antenna to the central room, and from the central room to any tv locations where you want ota).

6. Sep 5, 2013 #6 of 10
    jbuch

jbuch Mentor

Jun 22, 2004
    Thanks for all the info. In terms of connecting to the internet, am I right that all I need to do is connect an RG6 from the SWM to a deca module and then plug that into my router?

7. Sep 5, 2013 #7 of 10
    jbuch

jbuch Mentor

Jun 22, 2004
    Do I even need to ask for a SWM-16? I'll call and ask about the Movers Connection and get a genie and client to go with the 2 HR24's that I currently have. That would be 9 tuners and wouldn't I automatically need a SWM-16 and they would know that?

8. Sep 5, 2013 #8 of 10
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Do I even need to ask for a SWM-16? I'll call and ask about the Movers Connection and get a genie and client to go with the 2 HR24's that I currently have. That would be 9 tuners and wouldn't I automatically need a SWM-16 and they would know that?

Yup. The system will generate the order for the SWM16.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

9. Sep 6, 2013 #9 of 10
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you can, run at least two coaxial to any main room and any office type room. Ethernet to as far as I'm concerned. Its not possible to run to much cable.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Correct. One internet connection will do the trick, all of your receivers/DVRs will share that. With an HR34 or HR44 Genie you can connect ethernet directly to the Genie and not need a CCK.

I totally agree with the recommendation to run more wire. It is so easy to do during construction, so hard and expensive later.