1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn in on XM channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ajseagles3, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajseagles3

ajseagles3 Legend

Feb 16, 2006
    The D11 standard receiver in my spare bedroom blackens the screen on music channels after a certain period of time, while the R15 keeps the DirecTV Music graphic up. I'm concerned that if I listen to XM this way through the TV too much, it might burn in. Is there an option on the R15 to change this, or could it possibly be updated in future versions of the software?

2. tmj30122

tmj30122 Guest

I contacted D* Customer Service about this issue and was told that a screen saver is not available on the XM music channels on the R15. I requested that they add it and was told my suggestion would be "forwarded to corporate". We can only hope.

3. anthonyi

anthonyi Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Dish Network Sirus and all CD music has a screensaver with the infomation of the song playing ans channel number.

4. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    All it needs to do is at least bounce a screen around with the title and artist and such info.

5. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I've had XM Lucy on since about 10:00 am this morning. The "DirecTV Music" background is still there. It should be blanked out after some time frame to prevent burn in. Granted folks can turn off their TV but DTivos go with a blank screen after a certain amount of time.

There really isn't any need. The song info goes away and doesn't refresh from song to song. If the background changed and the info changes with song content that's fine. Otherwise, after 10 minutes blank the screen.

6. ajseagles3

ajseagles3 Legend

Feb 16, 2006
    I couldn't agree more, but I can't turn the screen off on this TV without losing sound, too.

Downstairs, sound doesn't go through the TV, so it's a non-factor.

7. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Correct, I was referring to a system with a separate AV system. My bad. It should blank the screen or offer multiple switching views.

8. cruiserparts

cruiserparts Cool Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Add me to the list of people who want a screen saver or blankout for XM channels. This seems like a no-brainer.

9. zortapa

zortapa Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    Me too! (but I wonder if there might be some contractual reason that a screen saver is not already in place.....)

10. cruiserparts

cruiserparts Cool Member

Feb 12, 2006

I hear you. Right now I am paying for XM channels that I can't use because they don't provide any screen saver and I don't want to burn up my multithousand dollar tv because of it. All the stupid background says is DIRECTV Music or whatever. I can't imagine any contractual reasons that they couldn't modify their own background to be a screen saver.

11. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    You have a high end TV but no extrenal audio system?

I know it's besides the point, but you can always get a creaper pair of PC speakers from WalMart or Best Buy along with an RCA L+R -> 1/8 mini plug cable. Years ago, before I purchased a HT receiver this is what I did and it worked fairly well.

12. cruiserparts

cruiserparts Cool Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Yes, of course. But that's really not the point. I shouldn't have to hook up external speakers and cut off the tube. What if I want to see the song and artist, and switch channels, etc? Turn the TV on and off everytime? Seriously the last time I can remember complaining about not having a screen saver was in the days of DOS.

13. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I always thought burn in only happened on projection TV's and didnt effect tube and plasma TV's at all.

14. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    While not exactly the same, we run a software package at work and it's used throughout the hospital. We used to have CRT's and they became badly burned in as they have no screen savers. Now that we've replaced many with PC's it is not a problem. So IMHO CRTs are very prone to burn in.

15. DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    DEFINITELY a problem with plasmas. They have gotten a little better, but, especially within the first several hundred hours of operation, they are extremely prone.

Ricky

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I never would have believed it, but same thing where I work. I work in an industrial laundry plant and the program that we use to interface with our washers, dryers and conveyer network, WashNet is up all the time on the Master Control screen. I've been there for nearly 5 years, this the third monitor that computer has had, and after just a few months it’s burned in badly. I forget what the first monitor was, but the previous one was a 15" Compaq CRT and now we have a 17" Dell CRT. You can see a faded Master Control screen all the time, when you have to go in the separate advanced control panels if one of the machines faults out, it can be a pain to read.

So yes, CRTs are prone to burn ins as well.

17. CP51

CP51 New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    I have been asking the same question of DTV since December. At the end of January, I was promised that there would be a computer upgrade to correct the issue “in the near future.” But as of yesterday, they still could not provide even a general idea of when that would be.

On page 24 of the manual for the R-15 receiver, it states: “In order to protect your TV screen from burn-in (a side-effect caused when a stationary image is displayed for too long), the DIRECTV Plus Receiver interface automatically goes into screen saver mode and displays a black screen with a moving logo when no key is pressed for 5 minutes or more while a stationary image is displayed on the TV.” But, obviously, it does not do so on the XM screens.

18. cruiserparts

cruiserparts Cool Member

Feb 12, 2006

I'll say it again. Programming a screen saver really isn't rocket science. D* has no excuse for not having done it already.

19. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    But there's not anything to program. The code is there and works when you pause a program. The difference here is on XM channels it needs to be activated when it's playing or paused.

20. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I wonder if it has something to do with an image being broadcast at all times for the station. It works just like and other video/audio based channel, the R15 isn't going to go into screen saver mode because it's receiving a valid video signal at all times so it thinks you are actually watching live or recorded TV. So they will need to be able to tell the difference between those channels and the actual TV stations to know when it's ok to actually put up the screen saver. If they don't we could end up with a nasty bug that puts it up while we are actually watching a real show. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.