1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Buying an HD Receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Roberth638, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Roberth638

Roberth638 New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    I am a current DirecTV subscriber.

I just bought an HD TV for the kitchen. In order to get an HD receiver from DirecTV at a great price, they want me to sign for two years.

Here are my questions:

I have noted that I can buy an HD receiver on eBay.

Is there something wrong with that?

Are people selling receivers they actually own or are they selling DirecTV property?

If I can get one a great price, why wouldn't I go the route?

Thanks for your help!!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "MOST" receivers are leased, so they're owned by DirecTV.
    "Some" used receivers have been owned by the customer.
    Before buying anything you think is owned, get the serial number and check with DirecTV as to how their system lists this receiver. If it's listed as owned, then you can buy a new access card from DirecTV and activate it on your account, if it comes from a customer who's account is in good standing with DirecTV.

"More often than not", you're looking at a leased receiver that may or may not be of any use to you.

3. Rent_Share

Rent_Share AllStar

Aug 31, 2011
    get the RECEIVER ID # and check with DirecTV as to how their system lists this receiver.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You still pay the $6 per additional receiver whether you buy or lease...maybe you knew that, maybe you didnt. if you really dont have a plan to leave in the next 2 years, sometimes its just easier to get it directly from D*.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And you specifically want to contact the Access Card Team at DirecTV. Verify that the receiver is owned, there is no outstanding balance on it, and that you would be able to activate it.

- Merg