1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying my own dish. Which one do I need for my receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dre2112, Jun 11, 2012.

1. dre2112

dre2112 Mentor

Oct 12, 2009
    I am forced to do a manual install (I can't work directly with DTV because my apt. complex has a deal with an outside company to purchase packages and install DTV and they don't offer HD). I have 2 receivers on my account at my other house which I want to use at my new apartment and they are the HR23-700 and a R15-500.

Which dish do I need to buy? I noticed there are several types. Probably for my case the smaller the better.

Also, as far as tripods go, are they all the same or are there specific ones I should look for?

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
  3. dre2112

dre2112 Mentor

Oct 12, 2009
    I'm in 91381. Also, I could do without the R15. It's not important. I can buy another receiver.

4. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If you want to keep the R15, get this dish: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=AU9-S&d=DIRECTV-Five-LNB-Ka%2FKu-Slim-Line-Dish-Antenna-for-MPEG-4-C-HD-Programming-SL5-%28AU9-S%29. If you're willing to upgrade that R15 to something better, get this dish: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=AU9-SL3-SWM&d=DIRECTV-AU9-SL3-SWM-Three-LNB-Ka%2FKu-Slim-Line-Dish-Antenna-SL-3-LNB-Combo-%28AU9-SL3-SWM%29. You'll also need this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SWM-PI along with the second dish. The second dish's benefit is that it allows you to run 1 cable to a DVR, but still be able to record 2 channels at once, Unfortunately, the R15 isn't compatible with this, and won't work.

5. dre2112

dre2112 Mentor

Oct 12, 2009
    thanks for all your help kevin.

So if I scrap the R15 I can do with the AU9-SL3-SWM and does that support the latest and greatest HD-DVRs DTV has to offeR?

6. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Yes to both questions. Also, if you're HR23 has those little grey/black BBCs on the back of it, get rid of them.

7. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Your zip code is the Los Angeles area. Those of us in this location only need the 3 head LNB (99, 101, 103). And as kevinturcotte noted, the SWM head will work for all newer equipment and is mandated for most of the latest equipment (H25, HR34). But, you do need the Slimline dish which is not "small". So, this raises the question of what kind of a mount you can setup for the dish.

You mentioned the issue of tripods. They are not all equal. You need the heavy duty one with a 2 inch post. You also need a patio or some other flat surface that has an unobstructed view of the southern hemisphere to use a tripod. And you will have to weight it down with sand bags or some other heavy weights since the dish can act as a sail during the Santa Ana winds. So, you need to take that into consideration as well.

8. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008