1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Reciever without card

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Bobby, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 1, 2004 #1 of 16
    Bobby

Bobby Cool Member

Oct 30, 2003
    I am great fan of your website and I always come here whenever I need information and I always got answers to my questions...This time my question is... If I buy a Dish reciever from ebay without smart card what I have to do next to get it activated ? did dish network can send me free card or I have to buy it..? Also can I use smart card from my other inactive recievers?
    Any answers to the above questions will be really appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. Jul 1, 2004 #2 of 16
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Dishnetwork will send you new card for $50 or $70 ( don't remember last price ); and yes, you could use other card, but be sure it _released_ and doesn't have $300+ balance.

3. Jul 1, 2004 #3 of 16
    How can you use a card from another reciever if they are married to the reciever. Just a thought

4. Jul 1, 2004 #4 of 16
    BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    They get a divorce? :grin:

5. Jul 1, 2004 #5 of 16
    Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    in that case,

Firstly - Dishnet is like a Priest, Rabbi or a Justice of the Peace (when marrying)

and then - like a Judge - to grant a divorce :)

6. Jul 1, 2004 #6 of 16
    MattS

MattS Godfather

Apr 5, 2004
    Whatever can be done. Can be un-done.

7. Jul 1, 2004 #7 of 16
    Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    not sure if entirely true in a case of Pregnancy though...

8. Jul 1, 2004 #8 of 16
    Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    Nah, Darkman, even that can be undone, it's the birth that can't. :grin:

9. Jul 1, 2004 #9 of 16
    Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    that is why i said "not sure" (instead of "can't be") :D

However in the case of one's Death - if i say "Can't be undone", i might feel somewhat more confident (cuz pretty skeptical about chit like "journeys to Hell or Paradise", "reincarnation", and other popular/unpopular beliefs on the Subject) ;)

10. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Doh! Now you're going to hell, whether you like it or not.

11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Depends on how you define "death".

Charging...clear...shocking. Sinus rhythm.

And what you do NOT see on TV: "OW - DAMN, THAT HURTS!"

But it's really, really, really, great when they say that. :) :) ;)

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Without getting too wierd here:
    1) Perhaps some Massachusetts Judges will decide that card marriages can be broken, and push that card divorces in MA MUST be recognized in other states. They seem to think they can define marriage for the whole US, why not divorce?
    2) Pregnancy can be undone. Many people consider the undoing death. Currently it seems politcally correct to be considered death if it is undone physically without the mother's permission, or if it is undone naturally without any intent. It seems that it is not politically correct to consider undoing pregnancy "death" if the mother wanted it undone - but I digress.
    3) Death cannot be undone, but it - like HD - can be redefined. (Note how I bring a DBSTalk topic in here. :) ) Death a few years ago was much easier to accept. But now modern medicine can keep a person "alive" by manipulating their bodies. We have coined terms such as "brain death" to deal with the issue of how "real death" is defined. "True HD" is just about as hard to define. :) Is "broadcast in HD" really HD if the source material is SD? See other threads.
    3) I saw Ron Reagan (son) on CNN's Larry King and couldn't help wonder how he felt listening to his brother Michael Reagan's eulogy. Ron is an athiest and is against the current president ... Michael is one of the reborn folks (said in the eulogy that he got it from his father) and is firmly behind the current president. There is probably a lot of silence at family gatherings. So much for religion and politics, hows the weather. :D (Ron - it's raining, Michael - it's sunny, and now a pregnant pause.)

See! It all comes together. In living HD!

JL

13. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Too late.

14. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Get the R00# on the receiver and call DISH to see if there is an outstanding balance owed on the receiver. DISH attaches the balance to both the card and the receiver so even if the smart card is removed the receiver still can't be reactivated without the balance being paid. Putting in a different smart card won't clear the balance owed on the receiver. Why would you want to buy a receiver off Ebay when you can get a receiver from DISH with probably a lower price. Check out their upgrade offers for existing customers. :)

15. Bobby

Bobby Cool Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Thanks guys for replying...I was buying the receiver w/o card cause it was very cheap, plus If I got subscribed to dish I will not be bound to any agreement. But sad part is I was not the winning bidder.
    Anyhow Thank you guys for your help.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you knew how much I was holding back. :lol:

JL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.