1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying used ViP HD DVR, questions...

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jgarveyATL, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jgarveyATL

jgarveyATL AllStar

Jun 1, 2006
    I want to add another HD DVR to my setup, but don't want to extend my contract (AT&T is installing uVerse in my neighborhood, may be up in 30-60 days). Dish has quoted $450 for a solo DVR.

I've bought 2 used 508's before off eBay and have had good experiences with both. The major difference was that 508's are not leased.

is there an equivalent HD DVR that is not leased? The CSR at dish told me to make sure it "wasn't leased." can they tell that from the receiver ID? Or is it model specific?

Is there anything else I need to check beside the receiver ID to ensure the associated customer account is clear?

Thanks
    james-

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Get the receiver number (Rxxxxxxxxxxxx) and call it in to Dish, and they can tell you the receiver's status. You need to be sure that:

- It is owned, not leased.
    - It isn't active on someone's account.
    - It doesn't have a negative balance tied to it from the previous account.

3. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    You want to BUY a receiver to use for 1-2 months??? Why bother...just wait for the U-verse if you plan on switching. Cheapest alternative is probably a 211...you'd need to buy an EHD if you don't have one and pay a 1 time activation fee of $40.

4. jgarveyATL

jgarveyATL AllStar

Jun 1, 2006
    @finniganps, that's a great idea. I hadn't thought of doing that. I'm in for about $140 (I have several hard drives laying around to use with the device).

Only reason I'm bothering with buying something is because there's no set date for uVerse to be installed. It might be 1-2 months, it might be 6 months+. Plus I can just resell the DVR I get on ebay from about the same price I bought. If I activate a new contract, I'm out $17.50/month for 24 months ($420). As long as uVerse shows up in next 12 months, I'm basically out $40 for the EHD fee.