1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bye Bye Boston!

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Game Fan, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    Crapple-bomb to the rescue? NOT!!! Enjoy the view from your big screens, boys.

2. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Papelbon is not the reason the Red Sox lost - and I haven't even seen the game.

The reason I say that is because it never should have been totally on his shoulders. Being a Sox fan for over 30 years, I can tell you what their problem was. Actually, it was two-fold. The problem names are Varitek and Ortiz.

Varitek's problems are well-known. He can't hit anymore and can't throw runners out. His one saving grace was that he called a fantastic game and tended to get the most out of pitchers because of his extreme research and preparation concerning opposing hitters. Well, now his defense is looking pretty shoddy. Too many passed balls in the games I watched.

Then there's Ortiz. This guy hasn't been the same since last year's wrist injury. People look through rose-colored glasses and say he 'only' didn't hit in the first two months and still managed 28 home runs. Well, a .238 average when you hit .190 for that first third of the season doesn't mean much of ANYthing. They put a shift on him and he INSISTED, time and time again to hit right into the teeth of that shift. He's NOT Ted Williams, who hit into and THROUGH the shift they put on him. Other hitters adjust and it seems that Ortiz just won't do it.

As I see the problems for the Sox next year:

Varitek - Helloooooo Victor Martinez. Get Jason's playbook and work on your arm. Otherwise, welcome to Boston and we hope you have a long stay.

Ortiz - We CAN find another DH.

Mike Lowell - I love this guy. But we need a "Plan B" for when we need him too much. Sure, he gets rest when Martinez is at first and Youkilis moves to 3rd - but that puts Varitek behind the plate. So we need either a backup catcher or a backup 3rd baseman to let Lowell DH more.

It would appear that our woes at SS are finally patched with Gonzalez.

The Red Sox are getting old in some places very fast. Fortunately we have guys like Pedroia and Ellsbury.

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I thought it was funny that Boston was winning in the top of the 9th with 2 outs yet ended up losing. PoopyButt (as my wife calls Papelbon) is my hero.

Let's Go Yankees!

4. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    One more piece of evidence as to the relativity of fan quality between Boston and New York. At least as far as baseball is concerned.

In Hockey, though, I've never heard Rangers fans doing the kinds of things my ex-wife was subjected to at the old Boston Garden.

5. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    Another reason: not signing Mark Texeira this prior off-season. In hindsight he would have played first, Youkilis third, Lowell DH, and have Ortiz sit the bench. Problem solved!!

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    It's not like Boston didn't TRY to sign Texiera. He's definitely "the one that got away".

7. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Yeah, not their fault Steinbrenner had deeper pockets.

8. Steviek

Steviek Cool Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Maybe going back to those - ahem - "protein shakes" would help Big Poopie return to his old form. :rolleyes:

9. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I think it's far more likely that his REAL problem is age-related. There aren't many people who believe he's 33 (allegedly turning 24 in November). Combine that with the fact that he hasn't been the same ever since that injury (maybe psychological - fear of re-injury) and you have someone that you can't call a lineup cornerstone.

10. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    And he doesn't have Manny hitting behind him, cmon honestly who would you rather face Manny or whoever was batting four for the Sox this year.

That stupid thing Youkilis (sp) does before every swing is ANNOYING. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Yankees in 6.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    That's funny because my wife also calls Ortiz "Big Poopie".