1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Bye bye Dish, hello Directv......again

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vroten, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1 of 10
    vroten

vroten Cool Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Well I posted last week that I had a pending install with a local installer scheduled for yesterday, Tuesday. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=213844

Anyway the equipment didn't come in until today (Wednesday) but as of about 5:30 PM, I am now officially a Directv customer again. And as also posted in the thread above, they regarded me as a returning customer, same account number, history, etc. It's good to be back with Directv.

2. Apr 3, 2013 #2 of 10
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Welcome back!

3. Apr 4, 2013 #3 of 10
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome back! :)

Peace,
    Tom

4. Apr 4, 2013 #4 of 10
    KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Welcome back home!

5. Apr 4, 2013 #5 of 10
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Welcome back! (all the cool kids were saying it!) :)
    What are the biggest pro's and con's between the two services from your point of view?

6. Apr 4, 2013 #6 of 10
    vroten

vroten Cool Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Overall I've always preferred Directv over Dish. I've had generally better luck with Directv's equipment and have had more than a few Dish receivers die on me. For me, Dish has usually been a few dollars less for the programming I watch, but Directv has usually been more willing to cut a deal to make their pricing competitive.

I know some would say this because I now have Directv, but I would have said the same thing before this install. Directv HD looks better on my TV. I have exceptionally good OTA reception in my area, and D* looks very close to the uncompressed OTA signals I receive. Dish was always just a little less sharp. Also Directv seems to avoid the rain fade just a little better, or at least my old system did.

7. Apr 5, 2013 #7 of 10
    domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006

sure u would of :rolleyes:

8. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    I just flipped to Dish from DTV. Biggest difference is in SD quality, DTV is very poor on that score. Dish is better for watching on a pc or tablet of course. DTV has slightly better HD. DTV has the much superior online program guide than Dish's , which is primitive in comparison.

Dish has Epix, The Blaze, the Plex Channels, DTV has Smithsonian Channel and Cinemoi. Dish has Sirius/XM, DTV has a SonicTap, I prefer XM.

I don't watch much sports programming but most fans say DTV is better.

I was tired of the DTV HR-24 and couldn't forsee getting married to the Genie for two years .. too many bad reports. I think Hopper will be very good but am disappointed the Joey doesn't have a tuner ... oh well, three will have to be enough. I also had to upgrade my internet connection to take full advantage of the built-in slingbox.

9. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    How come nobody welcomed ME back in my return post!?!

10. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Welcome Back ♡ ♡ ♡ :) :) ;) [Big Thumbs up , Big Slap on the Back]