1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

C31 and "High Value Content"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bob Kelly, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Bob Kelly

Bob Kelly New Member

May 18, 2008
    I've seen a comment in a field guide for the C31 that makes me think I may not be able to watch pay-per-view content from a C31. Sorry if this has been addressed but I couldn't find it.

There is reference to a C31 error message that reads: "This program could only be watched on the server."

The comment in the field guide is:

"Probable Cause: Customer is attempting to watch high-valued content (such as pre-DVD pay per view, on demand, etc) on the client.

Troubleshooting: Customer needs to go to the HMC HD DVR to view the program.

Educate: The customer will need to be educated on the restrictions placed on playback of some recorded material."​

I currently have the Genie -- but no C31 clients yet. What does this error message mean? Thanks for any advice.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Haven't seen any reports here where anyone has ever had this issue with a C31 client.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    probably because not to many releases marked as "high-valued content" and lot less auditory what took the releases on small population of C31

4. double

double AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    i noticed that on a C31, there were no PPV channels available at all. there were locals, then 200 and up. no channels in the 100's

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DTV don't trust MoCA security ... perhaps someone found its way around ...

6. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I checked one of my C31's and it shows all the 100's PPV channels. I also tried to view a couple $5.99 PPV's that had been pushed to the HR34 and they worked.

7. jcrandall

jcrandall Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    I thought "high value content" was the pre-theater or in-theater type stuff they occasionally offer, often like $30 or so.

That said I don't think they include events like PPV sports in that.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There are some sorts of content that won't work on the Genie clients but it's so rare that I can't even think of an example right now.

9. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Wonder why double isn't seeing any of the 100's though, should be there unless they made a favorites list to exclude them and forgot they did?

10. double

double AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    it was a brand new system that had literally just been fired up. maybe the guide wasnt completely populated yet? not sure. im actually going back by soon. i will look again.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the guide (channel's info for a few hours) populating during initial boot and require a minute or so - for all channels