1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

C41 Client Help Request

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TMullenJr, Jul 9, 2014.

1. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    One of my older HR20s finally bit the dust, and DirecTV is sending me an HR44 and a C41 client to replace it with. I have 2 other HR receivers that will continue to be connected.

I installed an SWM-16 w/ the power injector & splitter no problem. I'll connect the 2 old receivers to the splitter and the HR44 will be the 2nd output on the SWM so 4 tuners on 1 output, and 5 on the other.

All HR receivers are hard wired into my network and talk to each other, along with the original Nomad.

What I don't know is how the client connects into the system. At the location I want to install the client, I have both coax and wired network connections. Does the client just connect to the splitter off of the SWM, and that's it? Do I need a DECA (I don't think I do)? Do the clients count as a tuner on the splitter or SWM?

thanks for the help.
    Tom

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The client connects like any other receiver. However is recommended that the clients and Genie are on the same SWM16 output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    So as long as the clients don't count as tuners, I can put the HR44, my HR-20 receiver and the clients on the splitter (7 tuners), and the HR-21 receiver on the 2nd output of the SWM-16 (2 tuners)?

That way the clients are on the same leg of the SWM as recommended.

Does that sound right?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Clients don't count as tuners as they don't have any.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I always try to have all clients on the same leg of the SWM16 while at the same time using the smaller splitter possible over all. So in your case, I would use a 2 way for the Genie and C41 and another 2 way for the other two HRs

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You also want to have the installer switch you over to all DECA networking and take everything off of your LAN except the HR44 itself. It will provide the network connection to your other DVRs.