1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

C51 Reciever Info

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cbiggers, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Jul 8, 2014 #1 of 55
    cbiggers

cbiggers New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Anyone notice the RVU alliance posted the Directv C51 reciever was a certified product a few months ago?

http://www.rvualliance.org/products

Anyone know whats different?

2. Jul 8, 2014 #2 of 55
    inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Even if they knew they couldn't talk about it here.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jul 8, 2014 #3 of 55
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    :up:

4. Jul 8, 2014 #4 of 55
    slice1900

slice1900 DIRECTV Cutting Edge

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If you dig around the FCC's site, you can probably find some information about it, like dimensions, types of wireless it uses, etc. so you could figure out some of the "different" about it - but maybe it is just redesigned to be cheaper but doesn't include any new capabilities.

One would think there's a HR54 coming to pair with it, and that would either be cheaper to make than the 44 or include new features like 4K support. If the latter they'd need a 4K client, too.

5. Jul 8, 2014 #5 of 55
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV announced last December that the Genie was coming to Latin America in 2014 so it looks like Brazil and Mexico (the DIRECTV LA divisions that kept the SKY name) could be getting some love soon.

Still no approved RVU servers.

6. Jul 8, 2014 #6 of 55
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    4K is an extension of RVU 2.0. These guys are RVU 1.0.

7. Jul 8, 2014 #7 of 55
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Why don't I remember the C30 ?

8. Jul 8, 2014 #8 of 55
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It was never released, only used for internal testing (and maybe BETA testers?), replaced by the C31. I think it was shown along with the HMC30 (which turned into the HR34) at CES back in like 2008 or something like that.

9. Jul 8, 2014 #9 of 55
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If I recall the prototype was about the size of an H24.

10. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That's what the SC51 is - a C51 for Sky.

11. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Okay that's makes sense, I remember seeing it with HMC30

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    You do realize you are the only one on the planet that has any concern abut RVU servers right?

1 person likes this.
  13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    No he's not. I'd love to see some more RVU servers announced/produced. Imagine being able to buy one ROKU or AppleTV RVU server that could stream to any of the TVs in your house. Imagine a Blu-Ray jukebox that could hold your entire collection and play to any TV in the house, etc.

I'd also like to see some more RVU clients. Maybe instead of an AppleTV or ROKU RVU server, just make them RVU clients so they could be used instead of C31/C41 or RVU TVs. Or build RVU client software into Blu Ray players, etc.

14. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't build an RVU client into the xbox one. They want this system to be on "input 1". In fact there's HDMI passthrough, IR blasting and overlay for that reason. But if they had RVU client, it could be the box that did DirecTV, OTT, and games all in one... finally living up to its name the xbox "one".

Also instead of relying on tricky overlays, IR blasting and HDMI passthrough, for cable customers they should of made it be able to talk to silicon dust hd home run cable card tuner, or even the ceton cable card tuner and then you have a box that can do premium cable, direcTV RVU, AND all the other xbox internet stuff / games.

15. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    can they over lay on top of RVU? What about copyright / DHCP issues?

16. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is no different of what ids being done now

17. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It overlays on top of HDMI, so it can overlay on anything that outputs HDMI.

Whether the overlays look good/fit well with the native GUI on the device is another matter :rotfl:

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yeah, I'm kind of suprised they haven't included it either. Especially since they seem to be almost giving up on Windows Media Center on their PCs.

I still don't think Sony has released the update for the PS3 or included RVU on the PS4 yet either have they? They said they were going to add it to the PS3 over a year ago.

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Probably because RVU isn't really a standard, as Directv is only the one who uses it in a "server" role. It is easy to suggest "they should support everything" like cypherx wants, but there are costs attached to doing it, and making sure it works in the future. If the Xbox One supported third party apps then Directv could make a RVU client if they wanted, but why would Directv bother? From their perspective the clients already exist and it costs the customer the same to use one as it does to use a Xbox.

Microsoft's whole idea with the HDMI passthru was explicitly NOT to have to support all the million different types of TV watching devices, and try to make them all controlled by the Xbox. I think the whole HDMI passthru strategy is stupid, but they aren't exactly known for coming up with user friendly solutions.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes he is. Your concern is identical to mine and has validity and matters. He is harping on, as he has been since the hr34 was introduced, that the hr34 and hr44 are not listed as certified rvu servers on the rvu web site. That really is meaningless at this point and is simply his way of continuing to be negative in a directv forum. That's it.

I completely agree with you about getting more servers and clients form all manufacturers, but I think the reality is, tvs need to be clients and almost everyone else needs to become servers in the long run to make this a viable option. I am not sure if making an xbox a client will propel the technology, but if it was a server, that would be huge. Problem is XBOX wants to control everything instead of the tv,, and I don't see them becoming both, although that would then allow them to control everything in the system on every tv someone has in their house if you think about it...

And if Samsung made their blu ray players servers, that would be great for the consumer, in some ways, but it would likely cut sales for them too, so I am not sure we will ever see companies really go that route, unless its cable and sats companies, which is what is happening right now with all of them.