1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cable Demark Lock...Looking for a KEY!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by redpeppers, Oct 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. redpeppers

redpeppers Mentor

Dec 16, 2006
    Any know where to get a key for this type of lock?

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If you don't have the key you're probably not supposed to be in there.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers DIRECTV A-Team

Sep 22, 2006
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :lol:

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    think Semtex makes one, believe model # is DE-TCO-RD.
    :)
    I got nothing, sorry.

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I have one. It looks ike this:

[​IMG]

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Where is this demark? It could very well not be your property.

For example. Telephone demarks have a Telco side and a Customer side. The Telco side is locked and customers are not supposed to access it.

7. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
  8. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    This could get interesting...

Tampering with the Cable Co's side of the demarc could be grounds for some legal troubles. That will of course depend on your local laws, etc.

It's locked for a reason, YOU ARE NOT supposed to be in there.

9. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    All kidding aside, in our neighborhood, the builder installed similar boxes on the houses, but that actual “legal” demarc is an in-ground junction box at curbside. Basically, the boxes on our houses were just a convenient way to home-run all the indoor cable to a splitter. I have long since replaced those feeds with a singe feed into my attic that then branches out to all my new RG6 wiring (in place of the old RG59). I left the box there just so any future ‘cable guys” won’t be confused.

I assume the OP’s reason for wanting to get inside this box is to connect the sat feeds to the existing wiring. While there would be legal issues in tampering with the cable company’s wiring, the inside wiring belongs to the homeowner. If the wiring can’t be extracted without opening the box, the “right” thing to do would be to call the cabelco to open it so the household feeds can be removed and rerouted to the sat system.

10. redpeppers

redpeppers Mentor

Dec 16, 2006
    I am the KSO for the Property....i have contracts for right to be in it.....please provide answers and not rules.....And the standard locking terminal is too big for this lock.

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    We provide rules cause many people do not know and do not have proper authority to enter those boxes. Many are the property of the cable companies and only they have the right to be in them.

12. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    okay....then why in the heck are you asking us then? :rolleyes:

13. Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    Maybe you should be asking whoever installed the box and/or whoever owns the property ... to GIVE YOU the key ... instead of an internet forum.

Or are you asking how you can make a DUPLICATE key of the one you currently have ... in which case again, you should probably be asking the company who installed the box for some spare keys to give your employees.

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    From the scratches I can assume channel locks were not successful? :)

15. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    can you get a more complete picture of this? we had to deal with something with similar looking lock at a hangar I worked at, but I need to see the exterior and hinge area.
    I'm trying to remember what we did did, but hoping pic of the hinge area will trigger my memory.
    no guarantees, it was 5 years ago.

this is a thick casting box correct?

16. enrique1123

enrique1123 New Member

Oct 11, 2008
    it's called a plunger key and they cost about $15, you can buy them from several sources