1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cable Flaring

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by chefwong, Dec 30, 2013.

1. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    How many of ya'll acutally will run a flaring tool on the coax prior to connecterization.

Never have but I'm thinking about buying a flaring tool to add to the stash

2. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't have one, guess I don't do enough "connecterizations" :eek2: to warrant needing or considering one. :grin:

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'm not sure exactly what a flaring tool does (I googled it to get an idea) so maybe this isn't accomplishing the same thing...

I recently saw a tip somewhere (probably here in dbstalk) suggesting to insert the coax into the front (i.e. 'wrong') end of the compression connector first to push the top layer of the shield down and out of the way. Unlike peeling it back manually it restricts the size, making it easier to slip the proper end of compression connector onto the coax. I found it works better for me, at least, but I'm not a pro so I'm not making them all that often. I'm sure a pro could "connectorize" at least 5x the rate I do :)

IMHO, a pro doing anything on a daily basis, whether it is making cables or installing shingles, should get any tool that makes his job even a tiny bit quicker/easier/better. Obviously there's a cost/benefit side, but considering how little these flaring tools cost if it is any sort of improvement it seems like a no brainer!

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I used to carry one a decade or so ago, before there even were compression connectors. I only used it occasionally when I was unsuccessful in jamming a connector on a coax without having first used it. I don't carry it anymore. If you have trouble pushing a connector onto a coax, you can often make it easier by pinching the side of the cable to stretch the outer jacket

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When you do 50+ fittings a day, "flaring" takes forever. Pass

6. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    If you have prepped the coax properly (making sure every bit of the braid is combed back, and the foil is smoothed down), the only thing a flaring tool will do is make the wrong-sized connector seem to fit.
    The connector should slide on with only a bit of effort.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    while this is true under normal circumstances, not so much when is 20F or lower outside. It is a bitch to put connectors in the cold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Many years ago, back in the days of the old oringle digicon fittings, I had one of these and after using it two days, I found it was more truble then it was worth.

If I had any problems installing any fittings, I found that if you took a cig liter and warmed the cable just a bit you could install any fitting on any cable with no problems.

I have installed several thousand fittings over the years using this method.

9. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    Heh. This came across my *to do list* after seeing a tech FUTZ with a regular XL fitting trying to fit it onto a Plenum RG6.....
    Go figure, but it's not just the jacket rating but the OD, etc is different.

I picked up a bag of Plenum connectors to have in my stash since that day....

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is AWEFUL and will NOT recommended to anyone. doing these can/will deform the foam dielectric rendering the cable useless