1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable has it, why doesn't DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Guesst925XTU, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    Cablevision's iO Digital Cable and/or Comcast Digital Cable offer the following, DirecTV does NOT.

(Standard)
    CSPAN 3
    EuroNews
    Nick GAS
    MTV Hits
    MTV Jamz
    VH1 Soul
    VH1 Country

(Premium)
    HBO Comedy
    HBO Zone
    Showtime Beyond
    Showtime Next
    Showtime Family Zone
    Showtime Women
    Starz Cinema
    Starz Family
    Action MAX
    Thriller MAX
    5 Star MAX
    Outer MAX
    TMC Xtra

If DirecTV is going to remain competitive they really need to get on the ball and add these. With 7s up and functioning there is no reason not to...

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You want a bunch of new SD channels, others want a bunch of new HD channels and D* doesn't have the bandwidth to do both. It will be interesting to see what they do end up adding, if any, new channels.

3. Shappyss

Shappyss AllStar

Jun 26, 2004
    Maybe the premium channels are worth it but do you really need a rate increase to get some of those useless standard channels?
    What we really need is quality HD channels

4. midnight75

midnight75 Legend

Jun 25, 2004
    I could be wrong here, but seeing DirecTV added Nick Toons not to long ago, I'm thinking that Nick GAS being added can't be too far behind. But then again, who knows? I know that I've sent a request to DirecTV for it to be added, because I know for a fact that the kids would love it.

5. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    It would be interesting to know what % of DirecTv customers have HD tv's, compared to those of us still with SD tv's. I don't see us getting HD in the near future, so I'd prefer more SD channels be added.

6. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Perhaps they want to provide channels that cable does not have. HD stations could be considered more of a premium or more in demand than those channels that are not already on and that the space would be better used for those channels.

7. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    by the way those prem channles will still only show the same movies diff times and as far as vh1 country since they own cmt would it be that diff

8. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    Don't be surprised if they don't get added... Very soon....

9. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I look at channels like Nicktoons (which I like having since I was a big Animaniacs freak) but it's interesting that they have almost no advertising on that channel. To me that shows little demand.

Taking that in to consideration, I wonder if Directv takes a "wait and see" approach to certain channels before they add them. Why waste bandwidth for networks that are hardly going to be watched? I'm sure that there are contractual obligations for them to carry certain networks (packaged together) so they are forced to carry some networks that may not be in high demand.

As far as more movie networks, don't they all end up showing the same thing anyway? Movies on Starz! migrate from channel to channel and HBO does the same thing. It gets to a point that were paying for repetition.

I want more HD content. It's the future of TV. Sales of HDTVs are increasing every year. I would suggest that Directv weed out seldom watched networks and provide more SD programming that viewers want, then increase HD content via the new satellite.

10. qwas12

qwas12 AllStar

May 31, 2004
    Im with u Indy I dont have a hd tv either and i dont see my self having one any time soon. i just purchased a 56inch SD tv 2 years ago. Hd Is a Luxery not the standard. and im sure that D* is thinking about thier SD customers first over HD subscribers--or else i think they would lose lots of business. Thats why voom is getting in game! :D

11. jpurkey

jpurkey Godfather

May 15, 2003
    As I'm legally blind I don't care one bit about HDTV as I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. However, I can understand why people with better vision might want it. So as long as DTV keeps the HD channels off the 101 sat. then they can add as many HD channels as they want if it means getting more customers to join DirecTV rather than Dish or Voom. I'd just hate to see the bandwidth for (4-6??) SD channels used in order to add one HD channel to 101.

12. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004

You know right now not every one has HD TVs. I want someone to prove to me what is so awesome about HD.

Of the hunderds of people I know, i think that 5-10 of them have a HDTV. Its kinda like DVD vs VHS. When DVD first came out it was a slow transition from VHS, but know its taking over all the video stores.

13. qwas12

qwas12 AllStar

May 31, 2004
    when DVD first came out I remember my friend talking about it and i had not a clue what he was talking about. Movies on cd's ok(rolling eyes*) then i finally saw what the fuss was about and like year later i had one. And now I cant live with out it-- I hate VHS And wish they would put some of my fav. movies on dvd like this one movie called student bodies. Anywayz i do know that like in 2 years Hd will be taking over and that will be the norm, but thats 2 years away.(just like u can now buy dvd players for like 50 dollars on sale) When HD is the new affordable like big screens are now i will get it and wishing i had a plasma--LOL or what ever is the new high teck thingy out

14. Kid Jay

Kid Jay New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    In order for Directv to stay competitive, we must make a big splash in HD, which is happening NOW! But that doesn't mean we are going away from SD, most of the TVs out there are SD and if we feel that if a new SD channel needs to be added to the lineup it will be.

Look for more HD content soon.

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Kid Jay, I know you can't say much but your customers don't see anything happening NOW! Maybe you can answer this question, where are the locals that are currently being mirrored on 101, that have recently been moved to 119, be turned off on 101? That would at least give us some idea when the additional bandwidth would be available to new content.

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    They should be off 101 by September so they can carry all the HD games on Sunday Ticket. At least 65 of them! :D

17. ddobson

ddobson Legend

Nov 25, 2003
    You missed a few that Comcast carries where I live.

Starz Kids

GAC (Great American Country)
    Good Life TV
    Style

With the exception of picture quality on the analog channels, Comcast has honestly blown past DirecTV in my area. But DTV has one advantage... The dual tuner Tivo. That's the main reason I'm still with DirecTV today.

18. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I have had three Dish Network customers ask me in the past three days why Dish Network has Oxygen and DirecTv does and that they may have to switch if Dish Network does not add that channel soon. I told them that Dish has channels that Direct dont just as Direct has channels that Dish dont, that it goes both ways. I said that you may get Oxygen but there may also be some channels that you like now that you may not get on Direct.

19. Kid Jay

Kid Jay New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    We have two broadcast sites, and our Castle Rock site is not capable to send signals up to all satellite, so for now, some locals will stay on 101 and 119 and continue to be broadcasted out of our LA Broadcast center, but that doesn't mean anything for our plans for HD, and we are working on it NOW!

Satellite TV is not a turn on/turn off process, it takes alot of WORK, EQUIPTMENT, and NEGOCIATION to have a channel turned on, and an HD channel is double the work and equiptment. I cant give you the exact time on WHEN you will see more, but I can tell you that you WILL see more this year. As soon I can post more info I will.

Hope this helps?

20. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I don't know why anyone would want Directv over Dish. My parents have it and it seems like there is nothing on. I hate the way the channels are arranged. For example CNN is at 202 while all other news channels are in the 350s.
    They don't have WB or UPN unless you can receive it as a local channel. I still can't believe they don't have Great American Country in the music area. I would just assume have cable instead of Directv.

Directv doesn't ever add anything new while Dish is contantly adding local markets, more music channels and services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.