1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cable question

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Calvin386, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Is there any way to convert the hdmi signal from a vip reciever to rg6 coax?

If the answer is yes, will the signal still be HD when it gets to my LCD?

I have patio that has a RG6 cable drop. I would like to put an LCD out there. I would like to use the HDMI out on my vip211, convert it to RG6 and then hook to the LCD on the patio. Obviously it would be a mirrored image of the LCD that the 211 is currently hooked up too.

Thanks...

2. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    HDMI to coax baluns/extenders do exist - but be prepared to pay $400+. Just search Google. It might be cheaper to pay someone to fish an HDMI out there for your though.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you think of what you're asking... what you are asking for is something to take the HDMI output and re-encode it to MPEG4, or MPEG2, or whatever so that the other device can re decode it... you basically need a mini-computer to do that... which is why such devices exist but are fairly expensive.

4. fraisa

fraisa Mentor

Sep 6, 2010
    or just go buy a wireless hdmi sender
    i use one that i got from best buy
    cost me 249 bucks
    and works great out side.
    i run it from the second hdmi jack from my av receiver to the outside projector on a 70 inch black diamond screen works awesome

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I forgot about those... still a chunk of change, but better than the coax converter and no need to run any new cable for wireless.

6. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Wireless HDMI. Great idea! That will work and it's why I come here and ask questions.

Thanks

7. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Just be careful which one you purchase and make sure you can return it if it doesn't meet your expectations. Typically these run at 5 Ghz and some run at 60 Ghz. At 60 Ghz you will not be going through any walls and these are mainly for the connections in the same room. At 5 Ghz you can get through one wall but multiple walls could be a problem.

8. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    The other option would be to upgrade the 211 to a Hopper and Joey which can send an HD signal over RG6 coax and give you HDMI at the remote location.