1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable v Satellite coverage

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by tuff bob, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    Does anyone know how to find the number of homes passed by cable and the estimated number of homes that realistically can receive satellite from either satellite company. By "realistically" I mean estimating for the number of homes that can't receive service due to trees, HOAs etc.

2. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Number of US homes that can't receive satellite service because of HOAs = zero. Search for "OTARD".

I would guess that the percentage of houses that are completely blocked by trees has got to be really low. Less than 2%?

OTOH, I would guess that the percentage of apartments, townhomes, and condos that don't face the right way or don't have sufficient private outdoor space (such as balconies) would be fairly high. At least 60%?

As far as households passed by cable, the FCC was saying last year that it was finally up to 85%, a number that would help kick in new regulatory powers, but the cable folks disagreed and the FCC backed off. That 85% looks about right to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.