1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calibration

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sstv, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1 of 15
    sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    This post is kinda in the twilight zone. Some where in the back of my mind I seem to remember a DTV channel that you could use to calibrate a TV.

This channel was only "on" at specific times, but worked very well. With all the new Tv's, it sure would be handy. Maybe just wishful thinking.

As a side note, if you use a DVD player and a calibration disk, how is the DVD player calibrated?

SSTV
    since 94

2. Jan 5, 2012 #2 of 15
    mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    HD Net (ch 306) used to show a test/calibration pattern on Saturday mornings around 6am. I'm not sure if they still show it.

:)

3. Jan 5, 2012 #3 of 15
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The DVR Player doesn't need to be Calibrated as it is Not a Display Device but just delivers a Video Signal to the Display Device which then can be Calibrated to deliver the Picture Quality desired by the User.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #4 of 15
    sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Thats what I thought. The local Frys has a Panasonic DVD player on sale so I went the the Panasonic site to see the specs and one of the features is a full range of the picture controls. I dont know if this is a common feature with DVD players, if so then it seems that you would be calibrating a TV with a uncalibrated DVD.

SSTV

5. Jan 5, 2012 #5 of 15
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    If you used that DVD Player then you would need to make sure that all of the Video Controls are set to Default Settings and then you can play your Calibration DVD and Calibrate your Display Device.

6. Jan 5, 2012 #6 of 15
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If your DVR and DVD player are both attached to the same TV input, which means you can only calibrate the TV for one or the other, I would calibrate for the DVR and then tweak the Panasonic DVD player using its own calibration controls, if you think it needs it.

If your DVR and DVD player are attached to separate inputs on your TV, and your TV allows different calibration settings for different inputs, then you can do all your calibration on the TV. No need to use the Panasonic DVD adjustments.

HDNet used to broadcast a Saturday morning 10-minute test pattern on 306. I haven't seen it for a while, though.

7. Jan 5, 2012 #7 of 15
    Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    HD programming is so spotty, I just calibrate my display with a meter, thru my avr, then roll with it. The Oppo, TiVo and HR34 all look fine to me.

8. Jan 5, 2012 #8 of 15
    sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    Thanks for all the input.
    Yes it was HDNET, to bad Directv does not provide calibration info on channel one to enhance the DTVHD experience. Great marketing gimmick and there has to be a ton of new tv's just looking for a enhanced DTV picture.

SSTV

9. Jan 5, 2012 #9 of 15
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think if someone put instruments on the output of the DIRECTV reciever, they might be disappointed in what they see in terms of linearity.

10. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    When you think about it, all you need to do is get the black and white right then color to suit your personal tastes.

SSTV

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There's a little more to calibrating a TV then that. If you cannot afford to have your TV professionally calibrated I suggest you use a calibration DVD. There are several available (Monster HDTV Calibration Wizard comes to mind) and are quite affordable.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What kind of TV is it?

Rich

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A friend of mine got a color TV in 1956 (could have been '57 or '58, don't remember exactly). Great big thing with a little bitty screen. Damn thing had so many calibration buttons on the front and back that it was impossible to get a good (decent) color picture and then switch to another channel and get the same decent picture. They ended up using it as a black and white TV. Just too complicated. When I bought my first color TV in ~ '66, we just used the contrast and brightness controls set so low you couldn't see the picture and then gradually raised the contrast and brightness up so that we had a good B&W picture. Then it was simple to adjust the colors. They certainly made quite a leap from that first color TV to my first color TV.

Rich

14. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I think he meant white level and black level (contrast and brightness), then setting color to preference. Thats definitely not a bad method to getting it OK/good, but you really need a test disc to do that properly.

15. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    This is what I meant, I used a poor choice of words. My new tv is a 42 in. Panasonic lcd.

I borrowed two DVD players, used HDMI hookup and a "THX"calibration disk. The DVD players had not been calibrated and the test results proved it. The onscreen calibration test results was different for each player. So it would seem that its a crap shoot for calibrating.

I still like the idea of DTV putting a calibration progam on channel one

SSTV