1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California's on fire again - 2009 Edition

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, May 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. May 7, 2009 #1 of 89
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  2. May 7, 2009 #2 of 89
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While there are many updates on the web, Reuter's reports:

3. May 8, 2009 #3 of 89
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the AP via Yahoo:
    It appears it is going to be another bad year in California. While it may seem to be routine news any more, I have lived most of my life here and these spring fires were not the norm for most of that life.

4. May 9, 2009 #4 of 89
    sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I agree Phrelin, it use to seem like 4th of July was also the real start to fire season. We had the big fire in the Santa Cruz mtns. I guess all we can hope for is people are safe with fire and we get some rain so the drought can end.

5. May 9, 2009 #5 of 89
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The drought conditions are the major problem.

It's hard to understand what a fire like this means. They have it "10% contained" according to the CalFire web page after 3 days and the resources being used are listed as follows:

[​IMG]

Santa Barbara is 460 miles south of us involving a 7-8 hour drive and there are fire crews from our area down there.

The costs for this fire fighting effort are huge as will be the property losses. The state budget is already deeply in the red and it's just May. If this is any indication of the fire season, Arnold is going to have a tough year.

6. May 9, 2009 #6 of 89
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The weather helped the 3,500 firefighters and support crews get more of a perimeter around the fire. From the LA Times:

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This morning's CalFire update:

[​IMG]

Notice the mounting costs at the bottom. As it stands right now, California will end the fiscal year June 30 with a $16 billion deficit without any new fires.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the AP via Yahoo:

9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I know these aren't getting a lot of attention. But we have members in these areas, particularly barryb who I know is in the area of the Lockheed Fire. From the AP via Yahoo:
    Ah yes, California in summer - warm sun, beaches, redwoods, and firefighters.:eek2:

10. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Yesterday's news: the Lockeed fire was within a mile from our home. We are waiting to get an update from last night.

This is a fairly large fire, so we can only hope for the best. We are safe, as well as our dogs. We have one of the most defensible houses in the area.

11. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Yesterday's news: the Lockeed fire was within a mile from our home. We are waiting to get an update from last night.

This is a fairly large fire, so we can only hope for the best. We are safe, as well as our dogs. We have one of the most defensible houses in the area.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm giving it all positive thoughts for you and yours, including the dogs.

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For anyone wanting more information on the Lockheed Fire that is near barryb's home, you can go to the Santa Cruz Sentinel web site this morning.

14. WrongCheese

WrongCheese New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Man I would never want to live in CA. Way too many fires and earthquakes, overcrowded and way too expensive.

I just don't get it...:nono:

15. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Our office is down in Santa Cruz, just a few blocks from the courthouse, and I can't believe the amount of smoke that was coming down into town on Friday.

As the crow flies, google maps shows the southernmost tip of the fire about 10.5 miles from the office. Normally, out our front window, we can see 4 "tiers" of trees heading up the hill, including the University of California Santa Cruz, and the summit of those hills. Friday, the first level of trees - which is roughly 10 blocks from the office, was almost completely obscured. A hotel about 3 blocks away was in a definite haze.

Wind conditions and the overnight marine layer were favorable, so that's good. We spent the day down in Monterey today, and if the wind in Santa Cruz was doing the same thing it was in Monterey, conditions are not the most favorable today.

Hope your house stays safe, Barry. The latest CalFire update that I saw said only 2 outbuildings had been burned so far. Hopefully that count remains that they can get things settled down a little bit up there.

16. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    What I have heard/read today sounds like things were a bit better, as of 4pm the winds hadn't picked up as bad as expected. Also more striketeams were being sent in from So Cal and also now coming in from Federal Agencies outside of CA as well as crews from NV coming in to help out and give some of the other crews a break. We still have a couple of months of this to go...If anyone wants to listen to radio traffic.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That's OK, we can't get why someone would live in Iowa either. :nono:

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ....or south Texas, or Nebraska, or Louisiana, or Oklahoma, or North Dakota, or.....

Having been in Houston this past week, I just asked the same question "why would anybody..." for that place too.

I've always said if there was a perfect place, we'd all be living there.

But in the end....California certainly seems to have alot of negative issues to contend with, and it doesn't seem to be getting better not have any signs of improvement.

Watching the fires on TV,a nd ahving been to California many, many times, I feel anxiety seeing it happen over and over.

I know of one friend who lived in Orange County who left after 14 years because he couldn't take it all anymore, and another who recently moved after being in Northern California about 10 years for the same reason.

It's a beautiful state in many ways, with alot to enjoy - but it seems the downsides are outweighing the upsides for more and more people in recent times. That's a shame in many ways.

19. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    I don't blame you hdtvfan0001. Houston is a nasty, humid place.

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I try not to pick on where people live. Everywhere has its pluses and minuses. When the minuses out weigh the pluses, we move to somewhere we think they don't.
    Some people live where natural disasters have a season [hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.].
    If you live in a forest, wild fires are a risk. If you live on the beach, storms can be.
    "I think" where we grow up influences what we deem "acceptable".
    I experianced my first earthquake when I was five. The world didn't come to an end. I was here for the 7.1 in '89, which did shake me up. Since these don't have a season, they don't come that often. In the past 100 years, Northern Cal has had two over magnitude 6. "Fives" [or less] we tend to sleep through.
    Now, if I grew up in Iowa, I wouldn't know anything about them and might fear them [the unknown] more.
    Maybe those in Iowa can handle tornadoes, like we do earthquakes. :shrug:
    California is a large state, which can really be broken down into two largely different climates. Northern has water and Southern doesn't.
    You can find almost everything here, from the highest point in the continental US to the lowest point.
    When I was in New England, they used to say we didn't have any "seasons". We do, and you can drive to each of them almost year round. :lol:
    New England's "seasons" [for me] were freezing your a$$ off, suffering horrible humidity, 2-3 weeks of fall, and a couple of weeks of spring [if you're behind glass].
    If there was a perfect place to live, it wouldn't last long, as everybody would move there and then it would be too crowded.