1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Called to cancel, talked out of it, is this a legit offer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Fingolfin269, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fingolfin269

Fingolfin269 New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    So I called to cancel service yesterday. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the service but like many people I realized that the price was not quite in line with my usage. All I really want is a DVR, locals, ESPN, FSN, and HBO. I was sure that there was no package out there that could cover this and told all of this to the retentions CSR. I had every intention of canceling.

Then he offered me a package that was about half the cost of what I was paying and included all of the above. Select Classic + HBO + Sports Pack. He even said I would have more sports channels than I did in my previous offering because I didn't have the Sports Pack. No problem I said, I'm not going to argue about having more sports channels and paying less to go with it. He added that if I decided I wanted a few more channels I could upgrade to a little better package for $8.

I took the deal, sans the $8 package, and hung up. Later I decided to call in and see what would be included in the regular package. And that's when the CSR (non-retentions) told me that there was no way I could have the sports package with the select classic. I would have to move up to the Choice package to get that. I told her nevermind please just don't touch anything and maybe he hooked me up with some kind of special deal. I'd like to get the +$8 package but am afraid to screw up what I've already got.

I confirmed when I got home that I do indeed have the sports pack and all of the other changes had taken place as well.

So, which one was right? Am I going to find out a month or so down the road that the deal I was offered isn't really legit when all of my sports channels disappear? Or is this a legit deal but maybe only retentions knows about it?

I'm not trying to squeeze anything extra out of this. I really did call with the intent of canceling without any malice against the service. I just want to be sure that when they talked me into staying they were offering me something I can actually expect to be delivered over 24 months. (he stated the price would be good for 24 months but no contract so I could cancel it any time)

Thanks!

Cliffs:
    1) Called to cancel (retentions)
    2) Offered Select Classic + HBO + Sports Pack since that basically covers everything I want to have.
    3) Told for $8 I could upgrade to a slightly better "Classic" package.
    4) Called later (probably regular CSR) to see what channels were offered in slightly better package
    5) Was told I could not have Sports Pack with any package less than Choice
    6) Checked my channels when I get home and everything was as described in #2.
    7) Was I offered a legit deal in #2 that I can expect to retain over the promised 24mo period (no contract, cancel any time)?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Retention does have the ability to do more than a normal CSR, so it is certainly very possible. Same scenario when you get a call with an offer. The person calling you can do it, a regular CSR you can call cannot. Programming packages don't have contracts, only equipment, though there are protections in place so you can't add HBO only one day a week etc.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    As mentioned above, the Retentions folks can do a lot more than a regular CSR. Their whole job is to keep good customers and are in many cases given extra tools to do so.

5. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    It MAY be a legit offer.....MAY be.

Did you get the offer in writing in the form of an e mail?

Sorry to say but my experience has been that all D* CSRs lie and if they don't outright LIE they fudge the truth.

If you are very concerned call back and ask politely for the retention CSR to put it in writing. If they refuse politely state you are cancelling the order right now.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    And you "proof" that all DirecTV CSRs lie???......or is it merely your "opinion"? :sure:

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    dubber deux, your experiences are valid but my experience is that your experiences are far from the norm. I wish you had experienced better customer service but after several years here I'm pleased to say that the vast majority of CSR transactions I've heard of have ended positively.

8. lman12

lman12 AllStar

May 23, 2007
    So every single, solitary CSR, without fail lie? I wonder how they have stayed in business for so long?

I have been a happy Directv customer for 14 years and find the service just right for my viewing needs.

9. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    As I stated in my post IN MY EXPERIENCE all D* CSRs lie or fudge the truth.

You know better than that...I am sure there are a few good apples in any organization even D*. But it seems like I never stumbled upon them.

10. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    You should send a letter to the CEO, the FCC and Oprah informing them of your claims.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    And then visit every thread on here regurgitating your experience as if it matters. ;)

12. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Done, to the CEO that is a return receipt requested.

You mean the FTC? :p

Oprah....? Who is that? You mean the browser Opera?

13. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Gosh, how many phone calls would it take to talk to ALL the CSR's?

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've never "stumbled" upon a DirecTV CSR in my sixteen years as a customer. I usually have to call their 800 number to make contact with one. I've talked with quite a few during those sixteen years. Some have been "mistaken" but none have ever "lied" to me.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The FCC has the power to pull their licenses. Though it probably takes quite a bit for them to go that far.

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Come on guys, do we have to go down this road again? Let's not talk about each other or fling insults.

Please get back to the topic.

17. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

You know I wonder if anyone has TRIED to accomplish this feat?

You'd have to get all their operator IDs to prove it.

Then submit it to Guiness BOWR. :HappyGree

18. Fingolfin269

Fingolfin269 New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    I just read through there and only saw reference to HBO, Select Choice, and HD DVR. A lot of credits/adjustments/etc. I did see reference to a weird entry named "To Our Valued Customer - Charge". Any idea what that is? I wonder if that is in reference to the 3-month free Sports Pack offer I saw on the left side of the page. I really hope that guy wasn't saying "You'll get the sports pack as part of this deal" when really he should have added to the end "... for 3 months".

19. Fingolfin269

Fingolfin269 New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    No I didn't get it in writing. To be honest I'm not overly concerned (though I did write a novel-length OP :p) but am more curious. I called to cancel, was talked into staying and all the channels he offered on the phone are currently there. I guess in the end the worst that can happen is sports pack channels disappear (if what he really gave me was the 3-month 'thank you' deal) and I end up just calling to really cancel next time.

There isn't really any "issue", it's primarily curiosity!

20. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    @fingolfin:

Hope everything works out the way you want. I can only hope that your experiences are far better than mine have been . While I am no fan of D* I only wish the best results for others subscribers.