1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dthoman, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 10
    dthoman

dthoman Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    I know this has been discussed at length, but I am having problems with Caller ID. It started yesterday. I am on the latest national release. I have never had problems until yesterday.

What I notice is that when you hit menu, the option of Caller ID & Messages is sometimes there and sometimes not. I will notice that Notices will be change to off. I never changed my settings. If I change back to Notices On it does take. It will change the option but doesn't make it work.

I have tried RBR but it didn't help. Last night all of sudden it started working again. It seems like it may be happening to me at the same time as it did last night.

I haven't read much about whether or not anyone else is still having this issue. It seems odd that all of sudden I am having problems after never ever having the problem before.

Any comments?

I think I am going to upgrade to the lastest CE tonight, maybe it will help.

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 10
    DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Sorry, I don't know...that's weird. I used to have problems with it all the time until maybe 2 CE's ago and then really haven't seen anything (as I jinx myself). However, an RBR always fixed the problem.

If that didn't work for you, I don't know. I guess hope the next 1 corrects the problem. The question you have to ask yourself is if it's worth trading in for a new unit just for a "sometimes broken" CID.

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    how exactly is the caller ID supposed to work? When I go into the menu, I can see the Caller ID messages, but no message pops up on the TV when someone calls - should it?

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Well, the fact that you're saying that the Caller ID option is sometimes missing from the menu says to me that there's something really wrong there.

But on you other question, the way it's supposed to work is like this: if you have the setting set to ON, it should display a caller's name and # when they call whether you're watching live TV or a recording...and then it disappears after maybe 10 seconds.

Are you saying, though, that it shows the call in your history, but never showed up on the screen? That's again quite odd if it's set to ON.

5. Aug 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Most telcos send the CallerID between the 1st and 2nd rings. It you pick up before the 2nd ring you will not get a Caller ID message.

You also have the Caller ID Notification turned on to see the pop-ups

6. Aug 4, 2007 #6 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 10
    finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    Thats where I casted my vote. CID has NEVER worked.

8. Aug 4, 2007 #8 of 10
    bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    i put this message in the poll thread as well, but i'm having problems as well. I thought it was b/c i had a line going from the junction box, but apparently that has worked for others. It worked the first 3-4 days I had the box, but has not worked for the past week or so. Nothing has changed in the setup, but who knows. I have not tried to reset the box at all as some have suggested.

9. Aug 5, 2007 #9 of 10
    dthoman

dthoman Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Seems like CID issue is back. Too many people having problems again. And it seems that it all started at the same time 7/31 or so.

I am on 184 (lastest CE) I responded to the latest CID poll.

And I repeat, I never had this problem before exept the last couple of days

Update: I just unplugged and replugged the phone line from the back of the machine and it now works. I did try to unplugged from the wall but that did not work. I never tested the phone line the next time that CID doesn't work I will test the phone line

10. larcar

larcar AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    Mine was working fine until the latest release which killed it! No tricks talked about here will bring it back to life? :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.