1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID On-Screen Issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by thebigeazy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. thebigeazy

thebigeazy Cool Member

May 12, 2006
    South Louisiana
    I am having an issue with caller ID on one of my DTV receivers.

When a call comes in on the HR22 receiver, the caller ID appears on the screen as: 12345678900 without the parenthesis separating the area code. On my HR24, the caller ID number appears as: (123) 456-7890.

I've recycled the HR22, nothing changed.

One, could this be a result of the new software upgrade or I had AT&T U-Verse internet and voice installed yesterday, could this be the problem?

I can switch receivers as a last resort, I'd like to resolve this problem first.

Thanks

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I find that different carriers have different styles of presenting the caller ID information. I sometimes get different CID information depending on where a phone calls from (roaming).

You also need to confirm that you're running the same firmware revision on the DVRs as different versions may parse the CID information differently.

3. richard1428

richard1428 Cool Member

May 6, 2010
    If the area code are the 3 first numbers 100% of the time. How can this be a problem?

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because you CANNOT assume that the area code is going to be the first three digits. It may be a country code or a non-digit.

5. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Actually you can. If it's not a digit then you know something's up. If it's a 1, you know it's the country code. If it's any other digit, and the number is the correct length, it's the area code.

At any rate, if the number comes in malformed (IE: it's not 10 digits or it has non-numeric characters) then the "correct" formatting of (555) 555-1212 is going to fail you anyway.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    How to parse caller ID isn't really the topic of this thread. The question is why there seems to be a difference between how two functionally similar DIRECTV HD DVRs display CID. Logically, they would both handle it the same way.

7. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I have Uverse 24mpb and Voice to go along with my Directv and on my caller Id via Genie it shows it like this...

(123) 456-7890

and the caller Id on my home phone puts a 1 in front of the number like this...

1-123-453-7890

So it seems pretty accurate.You might want to call the uverse guy back or tech support to see if you have line issues.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Traditional POTS CID information comes more or less unmodified from the originating carrier. Different carriers can have different formats and there can be differences between PRI phone systems, VOIP carriers and wireless carriers. Some carriers don't pass the name information so your carrier has to insert it back in from their own lookup tables. It is imperative that you compare calls coming from the same origin point so that you can be relatively certain the original format is the same.