1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Caller ID Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GregStanfield, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregStanfield

GregStanfield Mentor

Mar 10, 2005
    Ok folks. Here is one that has me stumped.
    A Subscriber has 3 D11 500 receivers. All display the following caller ID Message at the same time.
    Incoming call
    April 26,2006
    No ID

The telephone is not ringing. There is no incoming call. Bellsouth has been out 3 times and so have we. We cannot find a cause. We have replaced the receivers, switch, removed the ground. It stops when we unplug the telephone lines from the receivers. If we leave a receiver connected to the phone lines that receiver displays the message every 5-10 minutes.

Bellsouth continues to blame our receivers.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Greg

2. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Do you have any other Caller ID devices (standalone, or built into phones)? If so, do they do it also? If they do, then obviously, it is not the recievers.

3. GregStanfield

GregStanfield Mentor

Mar 10, 2005
    No other caller id's in house.

4. missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    If all receivers display that info, you can rule them out. Give it back to BellSouth.

5. moonman

moonman Icon

Oct 27, 2004
    I do not have this receiver, however I have seen problems with similar D* ones..
    one person found that more than 25 msgs causes the caller I.D. to stop responding...try to esase some msgs if thats the case...others have said that
    due to a software bug, an incoming "unknown" nbr or out of area call, can
    confuse the software(it don't know how to handle an unknown nbr to display)
    If you can attach a stand-alone caller I.D. box, that should tell the tale whose
    fault it is.........

6. missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    If the receivers were replaced, wouldn't that rule out that possible source?

7. moonman

moonman Icon

Oct 27, 2004
    -----------------------
    Not if the same software was driving the receivers, especially on unknown or
    out of area calls..if all receivers show no I.D. from unknown source calls, then
    that would be a strong case as bad software routines. Is the caller I.D. not
    displaying any data anymore? Also a link to a D* specific site may help your search
    for an answer.............
    http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/defaultview?msgBoardID=10100104

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Try DSL filters, see if they make any difference.

Carl

9. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I had two of my receivers connected to the phone jack with a phone line splitter and was getting the same errors, and sometimes would get a bunch of yyyyyyyyyyyyy's for the i.d. I removed the splitter and installed a second jack and the problem went away. (By the way, the splitter has been verified to be good.)

Don't know why a simple splitter was causing my problem, but it was.

10. GregStanfield

GregStanfield Mentor

Mar 10, 2005
    Each receiver has a home run to the demark. The customer does not have DSL. This is the only one in our work area that I am aware of that is experiencing this problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.