1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID question for DirecTivo

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 3, 2003 #1 of 25
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    DirecTivo does not have caller ID correct? Anyone know of plans to incorporate caller ID into DirecTivo units? Any hacks available?

2. Nov 3, 2003 #2 of 25
    Chaos

Chaos New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Series 1 boxes have hacks. They (like most other hacks) don't work on the newest generation of boxes. :-( I miss my Caller ID, too.

3. Nov 3, 2003 #3 of 25
    cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    No hacks for Series II, unfortunately.

4. Nov 3, 2003 #4 of 25
    Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
  5. Nov 3, 2003 #5 of 25
    DBSPaul

DBSPaul Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 26, 2002
    Well, technically, adding/expanding the hard drive is a hack.. But yes, the fun things like TiVoWeb and other fun goodies are Series I only hacks. And I seriously doubt TiVo wants to pay the patent royalties for CID on screen. Plus it would have to be done by D* given how they support the DirecTiVo boxes .. TiVo is just a software contractor now, essentially. :(

6. Nov 3, 2003 #6 of 25
    spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    This is one of the most requested features for the DirecTiVo.

This is also the most ignored request.

The tivocommunity has been after both Directv and TiVo for years to add it, and all we get is a lot of hemming and hawing and stonewalling.

Who does a subscriber have to have sex with at Directv to get this added ? :D

7. Nov 4, 2003 #7 of 25
    Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The developer of Ultimatetv software! It was added to Ultimatetv with software release 3.7 last spring. I know it doesn't help here and is totally non-constructive to the discussion, but I couldn't help myself...

8. Nov 4, 2003 #8 of 25
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Nope, not available. And I have never understood why any would even want the feature anyway. I had it on my old stand alone receiver and it annoyed the crud out of me so I turned it off. I have caller ID on my phone if I care to see who is calling. :D

9. Nov 4, 2003 #9 of 25
    timf

timf Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 21, 2002
    You think so? I seemed to think that Home Media Option was the most requested and ignored feature for the D-TiVos.

10. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Sorry, meant to say "No Caller ID hacks for Series II."

11. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    HMO isn't ignored, they've just chosen not to do anything about it.

I don't know how they could ignore that HUGE petition on Tivocommunity.com.

12. DBSPaul

DBSPaul Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 26, 2002
    Simple: how many combo units are in use vs. how many people have signed that petition? I'd guess the ratio is like 1% at most. Plus, since D* now provides support for the "DirecTV DVR Receiver (in little words: powered by TiVo)", they would be signing up for supporting HMO issues. Also, I seriously doubt anything like HMO was in the contract signed between D* and TiVo when the change occurred to de-emphasize TiVo and make it a D* product. So if you're D*, you would incur more support costs in training your CSRs about things that start to look more like computers than a TV receiver, and TiVo is gonna want more $$ in royalties or however their payment stuff works from D*.

For a company still on the selling block, it would have to be a very compelling item to go through that hassle (ie. large return on investment). How do you sell it? Give it to everyone but add to their monthly fees (angry users), make it a separate package like TiVo does on the standalones (confusion and more explanation and marketing work), ... ??

We can all want it, but the simple fact is until you can come up with a compelling business reason to do it, there is NO incentive for D* to do it. :mad:

13. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
  14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I have a Dish Network 301 receiver I use for the Superstation Pack. It HAD Caller ID enabled. I use this to record to my DVD recorder for later playback. Well, I got a caller ID showing up on the recording. Not a big deal, since the 301 isn't a primary source for live shows, the caller ID is useless. I have a cordless phone with Caller/Name ID display.

15. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I love the caller id function of my Dish receivers. If I don't want to get up and answer the phone because of work or telemarketers with un available calls, I can just let the machine get it and I never have to leave my couch. Great Invention!!

16. BurgEnder

BurgEnder AllStar

Aug 14, 2003
    Also consider the fact they might fear the wrath of the MPAA after some hacker determines how to intercept packets going from one Tivo unit to another in the same home, saving content to their computer's HDD, and making either DVD copies of it or putting it on a filesharing service. Or even someone creating like a "virtual LAN" tunneling client for your PC that allows you to share content with other users around the country. Personally if they did ever offer the HMO i'd get it in a heartbeat. As it stands i'll probably end up getting a couple SA ReplayTV units due to the fact that a few of my friends have it and have the ability to share content.

17. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    So is a cordless phone with built-in caller ID.... :D

18. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Ah, but that entails moving the lazy ass when the phone isn't in reach or view......

19. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    One should always make sure that the cordless phone is within easy reach.:) If not, just let the answering machine pick up and return the call the next time you have to get up, if you know what I mean?

20. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    If the ass is lazy, so is the memory.....

Preparation? Seriously? :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.