1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID Spelling Error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MysteryMan, Jul 28, 2012.

1. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Last night we received a caller ID message with a spelling error. My wife's niece calls frequently using her cell phone. When she called last night the message appeared on the TV screen with the words WIRELESS CALLER spelled WIRELESW CAHLER. Anyone else ever see this?

2. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Checked my Caller ID log and there are several "Wireless Callers" listed and spelled properly.

3. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My wife's niece called twice yesterday and again this morning. The second time she called yesterday the spelling error took place.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'd certainly put this statement in the "Don't worry about it" category...

5. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Not worried about it. Just found it to be odd.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Knowing the string line coming from phone provider, the question posed in wrong forum.

7. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    This sometimes also happens on the caller ID on my phones. I think it is probably a momentary glitch in the info coming from the telephone company.

8. caseyf5

caseyf5 Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Bethpage,...
    Hello MysteryMan,

I have a SWAG (Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess). It could be noise on the phone line. The noise level might be below your limit of hearing. The caller ID is trying to do the best it can with what is sent. My sister's Cell Phone number was recycled and periodically the caller Id has the wrong person's name but the right phone number. The telephone company that has the phone number sends the caller ID information. The database system is truly a clusterfu*k as erroneous information is not eliminated without a great effort in many cases. Old information keeps coming back like a vampire that was killed only to be brought into existence again and again. I am actually surprised that most caller ID information is correct. :rant:

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The noise is not the issue - all digital packets with info like CID/SMS/data protected by CS and retransmitting if it corrupted.
    Most likely that multiple different DBes, lack of sync these, etc.