1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID though cable phone line

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by chriscpmtmp, Oct 16, 2012.

1. chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp Legend

May 13, 2006
    After I had the Hopper installed, I switched to cable for my ISP and phone line. The caller ID on the Hopper worked for a day, then stopped. Then it worked for another few hours one day a few months later, then stopped. I get a dial tone at the jack connected to the Hopper, so I think the cabling is solid. The phone line seems to work for my alarm too.

I figured it just hopeless and I'll need to live with it, but though I'd check in case there is something I can adjust. I get a lot of sales calls, so I'd like to screen them like I did back in the 622 days.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    complain to the new phone company

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I would agree... it seems more likely to be a problem with how that phone company is instituting their caller ID. You might find some phones not working with that phone company as well.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Attach a regular Caller ID box to the line and see if it catches what the Hopper is not.
    CID boxes are fairly cheap.

5. chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp Legend

May 13, 2006
    My cordless handsets catch the caller ID. I'll try the Caller ID box I have at work tonight.

6. chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp Legend

May 13, 2006
    Everything else works on the line except the Hopper. Plugging the caller ID box into the line, then the Hopper into the caller ID box makes the Hopper see the caller ID signal. Its crazy, but a band aid I can live with. Thx.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's means two things: impedance of your 'last mile' (inside of your house) is changed: try to disconnect all boxes, phones, fax, modem, etc then connect one by one and see if the CID start working
    or (check with your phone comp) if incoming signal is overloading hopper input, imbalanced pair, echo level

8. chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp Legend

May 13, 2006
    I figured it was good enough. I have an old house with lots of old wiring. When I was having trouble with the phone line to the alarm a few years ago, I disconnected all the old wiring and ran fresh wires to the only places used - the alarm, my cordless handset, my bedroom and the A/V rack where the Hopper is. The lines to the pole were replaced in 2004 when we upgraded the AC power and ran new cable and phone lines in the buried conduit.

The Hopper worked fine with a traditional phone line. Then is was flaky when I changed to the cable modem with a cable phone. I wouldn't be surprised if it was too strong of a signal, but the Hopper was the only thing with issues.