1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HolmesCo, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Well I finally after all these years decided to get caller id for my home phone system. I had ignored a lot of msgs here previously re CID and HR20 since I didn't have CID.

Can anyone tell me, is it working properly now on the hr20-700, and wouldn't mind the steps to enable it if it is 'good to go'
    Thanks

2. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    Has worked fine for me from day 1. Press MENU and scroll to the bottom. Select CallerID and Messages. Follow the steps there. It may already be enabled.

3. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Thanks, thugh I can remember some individulals having significant problems with it, at least I think so. And talking about how it wasn't fixed with such and such release etc.

There were so many issues back in nov/dec etc its hard to be sure. But guess I will give it a shot! Thanks.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    It has been working on all three boxes here since two patches ago.

5. jutley

jutley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    My CID is getting better, but still doesn't show about 25% of the time. The other problem I see reported and I have the same problem is the CID not showing until 3 or 4 rings.

YMMV since obviously several people are not having problems.

6. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Usually takes two rings here. Which is the same on our phones and the HR-20.

7. Packerfan53

Packerfan53 Cool Member

Mar 18, 2007
    We still have intermittent problems with Caller ID. The other day calls were showing in the call log but the notification didn't pop up on the screen when watching t.v. I did a reset and it starting working again.

Who knows how long it will work this time. It's erratic. At times it doesn't pop up on the screen or show in the call log.....kind of hit and miss..........has been like that for months. It does work more than it doesn't work however.

8. jutley

jutley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    Have had that same problem also...call log but no notification.

9. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    My CID has NEVER worked. Everything is on and notifications is on, but nothing shows up. Seens like my notifications works opposite. When I turn it on, it shows off when I check. Then when I turn it off, it shows on. What's with that?

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    CID functionality has been greatly increased. I have AT&T .. perhaps you do as well being close to me). Most setups are working well now, but there are still a few situations in which there are problems.

11. EAGLES20

EAGLES20 Legend

Sep 8, 2005
    I fine if I keep deleting the calls after about ten calls the CID works well. But I've gone through it not working most of the times and then I saw about deleting the call log and it has worked well since no more RBR to get it to work anymore. The first couple times I had to delete after the first few calls then it started to work with out anymore problems. I have the 700 and two 100's and I do it with all of them and now there picking up every call. I wish DirecTV would make the deleting a little easier but for now you have to do it one at a time. Good luck

12. roconnell

roconnell AllStar

Apr 9, 2007
    I've had my H20-700 for 5 months now and it's only logged 2 calls, three months apart, don't know if they were displayed but they do show on the log. I've checked the grounding and installed a telephone line surge protector and still nothing.

For those of you that it works...how many rings on the phone before it actually displays on your TV?

13. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    CID has worked for me since day 1 with my HR20-100.

Ususally pops up the window onscreen after the first ring. Always by the second ring.

TDS is my service provider.

14. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I started using it on one of my HR20's about 6 months ago. At first it worked every time and then for about 3 CE's/NR's it would work for a couple of days and then stop. But for the last 5 or 6 CE's/NR's it has work every time.

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    CID has worked here since day one. In all my observations (obviously not every call), I have witnessed two calls that my Uniden CID enabled phone displayed that the HR20 did not...and that was a few months ago.

For me, CID works fine...it's useless, but it works. :)

(useless because 95% of callers block their "name" and I don't find phone numbers particularly intersting, nor would I want to pay for them. I currently getting CID free because the local phone company appreciates me testing it on the D* boxes and reporting back to them as new firmware releases come out.)

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    CID working from Day 1 - through a new line run specifically for the purpose of attaching to a DVR.

17. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    You can program your phone line to reject anonymous calls.

Some still get thru, however.

18. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    It depends on your phone service provider - some offer anonymous call blocking, some don't. I also have noticed that the "quality" of CID information varies by provider - when I switched from Vonage to Verizon VoiceWing, I saw some calls coming in with name info where I hadn't for those numbers before.

So far, the CID notices on my HR20 match what my phone says and it has caught all of them.

19. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    Caller ID works on my daughters HR20,but not on mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.