1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

calm before the storm?

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by terfmop, Mar 24, 2005.

1. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    This forum has been very quiet this week. I am supposed to have voOm installed tomorrow, but the installer didn't sound so sure he would be able to make it on the specified time. Time will tell.

For those of you that have voOm, I have a remote control question. I am going to have one receiver as my primary viewing receiver to view my HD shows etc(going to my Component 1 input)... I am also going to have a 2nd receiver going through my Tivo to record shows while I am away (to my TV via S-video). Can the remote address be changed on a VoOm receiver so that I don't inadvertently change channels while recording something on tivo?

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I thought the same. Very quiet, indeed. Voom has started a referral program, offering a free month for each referral, up to a max of 12. Good for VOOM and va va VOOM subs.

http://www.voom.com/lp/refer.html

Good question - unforunately, I don't have the answer, but I'm sure someone will.

3. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, I just saw that referral thing. I don't think I'll refer any friends until next month -- just to be safe. :)

- John...

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    No disrespect, John, but if everyone played it safe, we still be watching the radio and living in the old country.

But what if you referred your friends now instead of later and everyone else did too, and suddenly VOOM caught on and everyone is happy because they have a bunch of new HD channels and VOOM takes off like a freakin' rocket?

It's that overly-cautious 'wait and see' thingy that may doom VOOM. If Chuck Dolan is willing to risk his personal fortune to make VOOM a success, what's the big deal about recommending VOOM now? There are people out there with huge new HD TV sets and they are still watching analog on cable and SD on satellite.

Let's get with the program people - sign up for VOOM, and begin referring family, friends, and neighbors. Remember, VOOM has unique programming that no one else has.

5. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Well, to be fair, I didn't play it safe -- I signed up earlier this month for myself. However, I don't feel it fair to take risks for my friends that might not know better. I'm not going to recommend a service that might be dead in a week.

I don't think waiting a week to see how the 31st deadline goes is going to make a huge difference. If the 3 or 4 people that I refer to VOOM are what would have saved it, then oh well... :D

Holy cow -- I'm just talking about waiting until after the 31st here, Nick. I don't think that unreasonable. I have some friends that would not be happy if I referred them to VOOM, they signed up, and then it was killed next week. Again, I think I'll "play it safe" until the 31st deadline passes -- and I don't think that is being overly cautious really.

If they survive the 31st, I certainly plan to do so.

- John...

6. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    Installer arrived late but everything was installed, some minor receiver issues, but were all resolved, picture quality is great.