1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can 2 computers share the auto shutdown data port on a UPS?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Hansen, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I have 2 computers (actually a desktop computer and a small Windows home server box) connected to my APC UPS. I would like to connect both of them to the USB-data port connection on the UPS so that they will both shut down automatically if power fails. But, there is only one data port on the back of the UPS. I have 2 of the data port to USB converter cables. Can I get a splitter - like a telephone splitter but one sized for a data connector - and use that to share the data port on the UPS so that both computers can take advantage of the shutdown feature?

Thanks.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Use a client, use a APC server (business version) with an agent - all that features you could research at APC web site.

3. TonyDigital

TonyDigital New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Hi,

I don't think the USB hub would work, your best bet it to set up the APC PowerChute software. If you set up the APC client on the second machine, you could control both of them from one machine.

The APC PowerChute business edition is free of charge, you can download it from APC's site:

apc.com/tools/download/software_comp.cfm?sw_sku=SFPCBE704

Good luck!

Tony,
    ExcessUPS