1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can A Flat Panel HDTV Set On Top Of A Receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CraigerCSM, Nov 8, 2009.

1. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I was thinking about getting a 19" to 24" flat panel HDTV for the bedroom and putting it my dresser. I thought about setting the receiver on the dresser then put the flat panel HDTV ontop of the receiver. Is this ok to do? Will it hurt the HDTV or the Receiver? Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I suppose it depends on how much the TV weighs. But I don't think it's a good idea, both because of weight and air-flow blockage issues.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I'd stand the receiver on end and either put it next to or behind the TV (depending on if the particular receiver has RF mode).

4. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    My 22" lcd monitor sat on top of my H21 for a few months with no issue but the hdtv may weigh more so i'd go with tusta00, put it on it's end

5. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

From the photo of the H21 it looks like their isn't any vents ontop. I was just kind of worried if the top part gets hot.

I have decided on a Vizio 19" Flat Panel HDTV. Sam's Club had one for $165.00. I think a 24" would be too big.

6. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I hope you meant too big for the receiver
    There is no such thing as too big for HDTV :D

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    19" should be fine on top. They dont weigh much. A client of mine has a 22" LCD on top of his and it works fine, does not even bend the case.

Note that some receivers have vents on top and some dont, blocking them might be the only issue. The person I referenced earlier has a DVR with no vents on top so it is a non-issue.

8. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    So true. :D

9. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I've had a 19" LCD w/DVD built in sitting on top on an HR20-700 for about two years now. The only problem I've had is that the screen is too small. But it's in the guest room, so that;s no my problem! :lol: