1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can a laptop get internet access via a DECA and CCK

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by StephenJC, Jul 14, 2012.

1. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    If I have a CCK as part of my set up, can my laptop get internet if I connect the DECA to it, or will they only share internet with DirecTv receivers?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    It breaks out the network signal from the coax and supplies it to the ethernet pigtail. Problem with the laptop, without the receiver, there is nothing to power the deca. Now if you leave the deca plugged into the receiver, and unplug the ethernet and run it to a laptop, the laptop will get the network instead of the receiver. Or you can use an external power supply for the DECA.

3. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Can I attach a DECA to an H24 (coax only, ethernet to laptop). Or will that mess up the H24 since it has a DECA built in?

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    On the H24, when you plug in an ethernet cable, it disconnects the DECA over coax, so you would not get anything. It will only work with an external DECA module, or an HR34.

5. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    You can get a second CCK and get internet through that. A CCK is nothing but prettier DECA that gets powered by a traditional wall wart. Alternatively, you can get a DECA with a power adapter.

Because I live in a 2 story house with no basement, there's no good way to run ethernet wiring that doesn't involve a lot of drywall patching. I've been relying on DECAs for connectivity for a couple years. I have one DECA with a power supply (connected to an Ethernet sprinkler system controller), 3 CCKs (two on PCs, one connected to the router), running in addition to two HR24s. It all works extremely well, they behave like solid 100mbps ethernet connections. Despite very heavy use, I've never had the slightest problem with LAN activities interfering with MRV on my HR24s.

That said, the usual caveats apply - doing something like this is not supported by DirecTV, and if you're having issues, you should return your setup to its normal state before asking DirecTV for help. Because I've added 3 ports for the additional connectivity, the HR24's rate mesh diagnostics were helpful to verify that my DECA signals were all in good shape.

6. cbayus

cbayus AllStar

Apr 20, 2007
    I haven't tried this but hypothetically you can plug the AC powered DECA into a Ethernet switch and then plug the laptop, D* box and any other network equipment you want into the switch.

7. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    If you have an older HR21-HR23 receiver with 2 ETHERNET ports, then YES you can use the DECA for internet access. I used my laptop in my kitchen where my HR21-700 is installed via DECA/SWiM worked great. I connected into Ethernet port 2 on the HR21. Might not be the best if YOUR receiver is wanting to use the internet at the SAME time as the computer. But you should be ok. You could always use a hub or router at the receiver point as long as the DECA is connected to the HR21-23 receiver for powering the DECA module. HR24-34 has an internal DECA and thus couldn't use this internet "patch-in".

8. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    DECA has nothing to do with your laptop

9. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    So I already have a CCK connected to my router. If I get another CCK (off ebay) and attach it to the coax that the H24 is using (in my office next to laptop ) and then connect the ethernet from that one to my laptop I will have a fast, wired connection for my laptop to use? WI-FI signal is low in my office.

10. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Get a Receiver DECA and attach it to your H24

Get a Netgear FS105 off amazon.com or something similar and plugin the ethernet from the DECA to the Netgear switch then an Ethernet cable from the Netgear switch to the H24 and another Ethernet to your laptop.

11. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK

Yeah you will.
    Get a two way green label splitter to supply signal to the H24 and CCK at the same time.
    I have an old house with lathe & plaster and use DECA and CCKs for networking my PS3 and 360 in the living room as well as my Sprint Airrave. They're great devices for networking if you already have cable run to your outlet where you need the wired connection.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Just get a wi-fi extender less issues.

13. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    I took the H21 that was in my family room and moved it to my office, putting the H24 out in the family room. At least for now I have live tv and reliable internet in my office. I will pick up an $8 Ethernet switch at microcenter next week so MRV will work again on the H21. Thanks for the advice!

14. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Sprint airave Lolz

15. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    You can hook up a DECA to the H24 even though it has an internal one. The Netgear switch on amazon is $9.99 right now with $10 mail in rebate

16. Jacob Braun

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Ugh don't even get me started on Sprint!

17. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    They gave me one of those for free but wanted it back when I cancelled it didn't even have 3G hopefully you have the 3g model at least.

18. Jacob Braun

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah I do, the newer model that is supposed to transition from the Airave to the real Sprint network seamlessly [it does not, whenever I get home my call drops 90% of the time as the Airrave fights to get ahold of the call]. And it was free..."my data is slow!" "here's this airrave which will make your data faster!" "in my home when I'm always on wifi?" "yes...." "ok then..."
    Luckily my ETF is cut in half because of a company discount, so I'm definitely jumping ship when the Next Great Thing comes around. </offtopic>