1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a power interruption during reboot kill the 722 HDD?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TheFoxMan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Feb 4, 2011 #1 of 29
    TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    I think I read about this quite some time ago but can't find anything on it now. Yesterday I reconnected my system after moving it to get some carpet work done. Within a few seconds of powering up the 722, I unwittingly pulled the plug and inserted it into another outlet to make room for other stuff... big mistake? After a couple power plug restarts, I finally got the DVR to boot up, and it reported a hard drive failure. Now my 722 is a HD receiver but not a DVR. Is it likely that I did it to myself by interrupting the power during reboot? :(

2. Feb 4, 2011 #2 of 29
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The receiver is nothing more than a computer and you know what can happen to a computer under those circumstances....

3. Feb 4, 2011 #3 of 29
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Probably not brcause an outtage in a storm could have the same effect, but anything is possible. If HD is dead call DISH.

4. Feb 4, 2011 #4 of 29
    TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    Replacement is on its way... now I'm looking for a teachable moment.

5. Feb 4, 2011 #5 of 29
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    One of the critical times is power-up... so yeah, yanking the power could cause a permanent problem.

However, I do know that most companies test their hardware to be able to react and recover... so under normal circumstances, one would expect the receiver to be able to handle it. As noted, a storm could cause the exact same thing to happen and be out of your control.

6. Feb 4, 2011 #6 of 29
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Darn good reason to put all DVRs on a UPS.

7. Feb 4, 2011 #7 of 29
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yep.

It protects against surges or brownouts... and in a total outage scenario you at least get time to properly shut down the receiver.

8. Feb 4, 2011 #8 of 29
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nope, you can't do that by jacking power cord.
    But if you kick the DVR right before or during its run, then yes.
    Seems to me it happened when you moved the 722 and it was powered.

9. Feb 5, 2011 #9 of 29
    TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    One thing I did right was to unplug the system before moving it, so I may never know what corrupted the HDD. Thanks to all for the feedback, especially the advice to use a UPS, which I will do when installing the new DVR.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then I could suggest you did pull the cord little far and did shake the DVR while rearrange the power line.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    It is quite difficult to damage modern hard drives while they are shut down, with head parking and other safety technologies.

Only torquing a running drive or dropping it while running can physically cause crashes.

Other crashes just happen with no discernable cause - MTBF gotcha.

12. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    Nope... plenty of slack in the cord. The DVR remained firmly in place in the equipment rack and did not budge at any time when powered, so I ruled out physical shock, which I know can damage HDD's. It could be coincidental (i.e. DVR ready to give up the ghost), but, I don't believe in coincidence and suspect that the brief power interruption at a critical time when booting up created a shock or surge that corrupted the HDD.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The suspected cause is not based on real if-then scenarios for HDD. Your imagination went too far. :) Data corruption could happen, but HW failure ... Or perhaps the drive was on last leg.

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    AMEN! I went through 10 921's and a 942. When my 1st 622 showed up on my doorstep before hooking it up I purchased an APC UPS. While that 622 eventually also needed to be replaced, it lasted a lot longer before hard drive failure.

BTW it's not just at boot up that is critical time. Having lousy A/C service is also a determent to the health of a DVR. I can see my lousy A/C in my incandescent light bulbs (there are times when they flicker).

15. mrdctaylor

mrdctaylor Cool Member

May 26, 2007
    Unless you want to use the whole internet-over-power-line technology that they build into those DVRs. :-/

16. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Have you ever read that little red and white sticker that's on the top of all Dish Network DVRs?.:eek2:;)

17. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Michael P:

How close is the closest transformer to your house?.It does make a difference,but if you request it closer(I did) you will probably be replacing light bulbs.Because when the transformer is further away light bulbs do last longer,even though the lighting wasn't that good.Good Luck!:)

P.S. The way I could tell was when the Air Conditioner kicked on my lights dimmed really bad.My electric bill did increase a little,but at least when the AC kicks in my lights don't dim as bad as before.:)

18. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

That turned me against that technology,because if I can't plug it into my Monster Surge Suppressor(along with all of my other electronic devices) I stay away from it.:eek2:;)

19. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    Of course I read it, and it doesn't tell me anything I hadn't known for the past 23 years since I started building and upgrading my own PC's. I'm no expert, but I do understand the basics, including handling delicate equipment with care.

Having discussed this today with one of the seasoned engineers that support my military avionics products, I'm now ready to agree with all of you who figured it was simply time for my HDD to die. Thank you for your interest and comments.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I wouldn't agree with him (working with HDDs for 30+ years).

The drive died prematurely.