1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can An EHD Be Played Without An Active Receiver

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by mistrmac, Jul 20, 2012.

1. mistrmac

mistrmac Cool Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I am a current Dish suscriber and have quite a few recordings archived on 2 two TB external hard drives. I own my 3 722k receivers and was thinking of possiblly switching providers. I was wondering if I turned off Dish service would I still be able to play my EHD's through one of my 722k receivers without having Dish service?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Nope, once you cancel your account the EHD would not be active any longer. Any recordings left of the EHD will not play anywhere else since the recordings are encrypted, not only to Dish but to the account they were on when they were recorded. If you want the movies, you could take the time to record them onto a dvd recorder in real time though your active receiver.

3. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    How is that done?

4. mistrmac

mistrmac Cool Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. Too much to dump to DVD in real time. Apologies for posting in the wrong forum too (realized it after posting questions about Hopper upgrades).

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There is a highly technical process called "dubbing" that must be employed. There have been numerous detailed explanations on DBSTalk.

Search is your friend.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I use the rca/s-video outputs on the receiver connected to same on dvd recorder. Press play on receiver, record on dvd recorder. Stop when finished.